North Carolina Friends...

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Well I’m getting close to retirement (~2 years) and my wife and I are thinking about relocating in search of a milder summer climate, better hiking and a less urban setting. We’ve landed on somewhere in Western North Carolina as a likely landing spot and are planning some visits this year to start searching for property. I’m familiar with the area having spent a fair amount of time in Knoxville, hiking in the Smokies and around Highlands and have made a few visits to Asheville. We’re looking for some room to spread out - more than 20 acres or so - but don’t necessarily want to be too far from shopping, good restaurant’s and entertainment. We have no work restrictions. Any places you’d recommend in particular that I take a look at? Any places you’d recommend in particular that I avoid?

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Might want to consider (greater-)Greenville SC if you're not tied to the notion of western NC.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Charlotte & Asheville have a lot going for them, ...but in pretty different directions. For retirement though, and outdoorsy-type things to do, I'd suspect Asheville and the surrounding area are what you're looking for.

mRNG

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well I’m getting close to retirement (~2 years) and my wife and I are thinking about relocating in search of a milder summer climate, better hiking and a less urban setting. We’ve landed on somewhere in Western North Carolina as a likely landing spot and are planning some visits this year to start searching for property. I’m familiar with the area having spent a fair amount of time in Knoxville, hiking in the Smokies and around Highlands and have made a few visits to Asheville. We’re looking for some room to spread out - more than 20 acres or so - but don’t necessarily want to be too far from shopping, good restaurant’s and entertainment. We have no work restrictions. Any places you’d recommend in particular that I take a look at? Any places you’d recommend in particular that I avoid?
Barnardsville

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
ive lived in west asheville for a bit, then I moved outside of town to the suburbs in Biltmore Lake. Its a great neighborhood but pricey and a high HOA. Ill be moving again in August, somewhere like Flat Rock, Hendersonville or Brevard. If I was in your shoes, I would be either looking at small towns like Black Mountain, Weaverville, Brevard or Flat Rock, or if you want a larger more rural area look at Mills River, Fairview or Bat Cave. Knowing what I know now I would never have moved to Asheville, its beautiful here, but I have never lived anywhere where the crime, local government corruption and heroin junkies have been so prevalent. Not just that but there is a stigma from the locals that they don't want anymore people here, I have had death threats from a few locals here in my short time here. Also the roads are bumpy with lots of pot holes and they are expanding the two major interstates through town right now through to to 2022, so traffic will be worse the next few years. And unlike other places ive lived sometimes there is only one route that you can take to get somewhere.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I also hear they are raising property taxes again in buncombe county because the treasury is already broke for this year. Asheville is a great place to visit. Places to avoid: West Asheville, Deaverview, anywhere near Leicester, North Asheville is nice and historic but overpriced. I moved here to buy a house or better build a house on a lot. Lots in town are going for $60k+ for 1/8th of an acre. These high prices have moved a lot of people outside of town so there is a sprawl here. Asheville population is about 100k, greater Asheville is more like 500k, that includes Hendersonville, Candler, Weaverville and Black Mountain.

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would say if you don’t like the traffic, and prices going thru the roof like Asheville then black mountain is a good place. Then there is old fort, Marion, prices are a little better and not a long drive to Asheville or hickory.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I moved to Asheville in late 2009 and retired here the following spring. At the time it was pretty quiet with the recession still in full swing. So we saw a lot of the town, hit the popular restaurants, and visited the attractions. Since then tourism has boomed and along with it hotel development has gone crazy to the point they are declaring a moritorium. The roads are choked with tourist as are the restaurants and places to see. So we rarely venture downtown any more—we‘ve been Californicated!

Be careful going west of town as you may venture into the airspace of Canton and its paper mill. I can smell it in Weaverville a couple days a year and as far south as the arboretum on more occasions. The western suburbs can get even more of it since the winds blow from the west and are funneled down the valley towards Asheville—how often do you get a whiff of it in Biltmore Lake @SouthernMaple? Folks out that way prefer not to talk about it as it knocks down property values. They call it the smell of money but it really smells like like a rotten egg fart to me.

South of town (Arden, Fletcher) was so crowed even in 2009 we felt like we never left the Washington DC suburbs—yuppies in beamers headed for the gym and the yuppie eateries. So we moved to Weaverville. Development up here is limited due to the lack of a main sewer line in the northern end of the county and we hope it stays that way. Development is mainly along the I26 corridor here.

Be aware that if you dip down into the lowlands of SC or NC you will be back into the heat and humidity. I don’t visit my daughter out near Greensboro at all in summer as a result. Good luck with your search, and let me know if you want to stop by when you come out for a look see.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks all! Any thoughts about further north around Blowing Rock or Boone? Or perhaps around Cashiers and Highlands?

Appreciate your thoughts.

- Scott

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Highlands is ~53 miles from me. Its a nice area. Cozy little downtown. I don't have a ton of insider info, but we go there occasionally. Brevard is a nice area as well, and the ice cream downton @ Rocky & Bullwinkles is terrific.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Boone area has gotten very popular so there is likely infrastructure but I am not familiar with it. You better have big bucks if you want Cashiers and you better like it wet. Up nere we get about 44” rain a year which qualifies as one of the driest areas east of the Miss. Cashiers area gets ~100” a year, that equals a rainforest, but they have a lot of pretty waterfalls!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Charlotte & Asheville have a lot going for them, ...but in pretty different directions. For retirement though, and outdoorsy-type things to do, I'd suspect Asheville and the surrounding area are what you're looking for.
Personally I'm out on Charlotte, to me it doesn't have anything special it's simply just a big city. Stressful and no special appeal. To each their own however.

Meanwhile, I love both Wilmington and Asheville-they almost have a west coast type of vibe to them. More social and night life, a better atmosphere, less city stress. Definitely hipster if yorue into that. Those are my top 2 in NC not including the outer banks, as that's something completely different.

Boone is also a great option!! I have a friend that lives there and I always love visiting. It does have a large college though, if that affects your decision.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Boone, Asheville, Wilmington, Pinebluff (especially for golfers or retirees- beautiful area and very affordable), I've heard Winston Salem, and Raleigh. I personally wouldn't consider too much outside of those areas

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Scott, you might want to converse with Danny Coffey about Asheville, and Tyler Dherrsrd snout Hickory.

meanwhile, NE Georgia has an appeal: lower land prices!

Why the 20 acres??? Woodlands? Pasture? Marijuana field?

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Scott, you might want to converse with Danny Coffey about Asheville, and Tyler Dherrsrd snout Hickory.

I don't think Danny Coffey lives in Asheville, he just works here and commutes.

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I moved farther east, north of Raleigh. Property prices are reasonable once you get away from the city & suburbs. We are a reasonable drive from the ocean and D.C. This is a great area for seniors because we have world class health care. The winters are light and we are far enough inland that hurricanes seldom are a problem. I love it up here after suffering the south Florida heat for 40 years.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Appreciate it - I had a long talk with Danny.

We thought about Georgia, but quickly ruled it out when we realized that area was full of Georgians.

I need the 20 acres in order to expand my bonsai empire.

Top Bottom