North Carolina Friends...

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonsai empire you say, well if it’s Asheville and your looking for some apprentice I’m throwing my name in the hat

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Appreciate it - I had a long talk with Danny.

We thought about Georgia, but quickly ruled it out when we realized that area was full of Georgians.

I need the 20 acres in order to expand my bonsai empire.
I see. Well, maybe you’ll find that outside Texas, you can actually make bonsai out of small trees that don’t need an acre each!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I see. Well, maybe you’ll find that outside Texas, you can actually make bonsai out of small trees that don’t need an acre each!

Are you sure? I don’t plan on growing Shohin.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks all! Any thoughts about further north around Blowing Rock or Boone? Or perhaps around Cashiers and Highlands?

Appreciate your thoughts.

- Scott
My mother-in-law lives in Higlands, nice place, but it gets cold there and summers are really mild. I doubt JBP would stay really strong in that climate. I’d be tempted to look more around Greenville, SC, or Gainesville GA.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My mother-in-law lives in Higlands, nice place, but it gets cold there and summers are really mild. I doubt JBP would stay really strong in that climate. I’d be tempted to look more around Greenville, SC, or Gainesville GA.
I live a little north of Gainesville. Just enough higher elevation so that JWP thrive!

the downside is fewer restaurants and shopping.
No traffic, though!

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I live a little north of Gainesville. Just enough higher elevation so that JWP thrive!

the downside is fewer restaurants and shopping.
No traffic, though!
Yeah, we usually stop in Flowery Branch on our way up...the traffic has thinned out by that point, but dinner ends up being chick-fil-a or Firehouse subs.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
In addition to Greenville (which I mentioned earlier), check out Travelers Rest, specifically. Its almost a suburb of Gvl, but with its own ...culture. There's the (22-mile) "Swamp Rabbit Trail" that connects TR & Gvl. I'd contend there's better BBQ in SC than NC, (but its not brisket/beef).

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

I wonder how JBP would do around Boone? It’s higher elevation too, but about 1000’ lower than Highland. Anyone growing them there?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I wonder how JBP would do around Boone? It’s higher elevation too, but about 1000’ lower than Highland. Anyone growing them there?
Probably be ok, it’s Zone 6A. Looks like summer highs around 90, lows in the 60s. Gets down in the low 20s in the winter. It’s not far from Knoxville, and I wouldn't hesitate growing JBP there.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Probably be ok, it’s Zone 6A. Looks like summer highs around 90, lows in the 60s. Gets down in the low 20s in the winter. It’s not far from Knoxville, and I wouldn't hesitate growing JBP there.

I think it‘d be OK too. Close to Knoxville, but a couple thousand feet higher

Top Bottom