Northern Ca Nursery Tour East Bay Bonsai Show 4 of 4

grizzlywon

Shohin
Reaction score
Fresno, CA. Were all the food comes from if we ha
USDA Zone
9A
On Sunday, I was able to make it by Oakland for the East Bay Bonsai Show. This was a real pleasure and the people treated me like one of their own. They even fed me for free!

I also had the pleasure of meeting and talking two 4 real legends in the world of bonsai. When I first got there, I spent some time talking with Jim Gremel. He is a real nice guy and I ended up buying (go figure a pot), some lime sulfur and some akadama. I had planned on visiting his place, but there was just not enough time or day light to make it happen. Some day!

After that, I made my way into the display room and met Bob Callaham, the author of the Satsuki Azaleas bonsai book. He was a great guy and told me that the first tree (that happened to be one of my favorites of the whole display used to be his). He also told me the story of many other trees and that he had sold off all of his trees!

I will post my favorite trees and a link to almost all the others. The photos will be of the tree and then the tag.

This first tree was a Potentilla and it was one of the finest shohin trees I have ever seen.

The next tree is a Shore Juniper. The next photo I just like. I just got a fish eye/macro lens for my camera which allows me to get up to about an inch of this figure and still capture the whole thing! What do you think of the trees in this lens?

The last pic is something Bob told me I wouldn't find anywhere in the world. I display of accent plants. I guess the club made too many, so they set them up all on a table.

More pics: http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o279/rem243/Lone Pine Nursery/East Bay Bonsai Show 09/

Attachments

• IMG_4797 sm.jpg
    IMG_4797 sm.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_4841sm.jpg
    IMG_4841sm.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4858sm.jpg
    IMG_4858sm.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4861 sm.jpg
    IMG_4861 sm.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 68

grizzlywon

Shohin
Reaction score
Fresno, CA. Were all the food comes from if we ha
USDA Zone
9A
I almost forgot to mention that I also spend some time with Boon and John Thompson. John did a great demo with a CA Valley Live Oak. The first is obliviously the before pic, and the last is a pic of the result and John holding up a $20 bill to buy some raffle tickets to hopefully win the tree back!

Attachments

• IMG_4886 sm.jpg
    IMG_4886 sm.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_4890 sm.jpg
    IMG_4890 sm.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 91

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to post all the pics grizzlywon. It looks like a sweet little trip you took.

Steve DaSilva

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey you need to get out more. I can feel your excitment. The Bay area is the place to be.

Top Bottom