Northwest Natives Care?

jferrier

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello. I've collected an assortment of Mt. Hemlock, Sub-alpine fir, and Engelmann spruce over the last few years that all have been allowed to sit untouched and recover for a minimum two years. My hemlocks and Engelmanns have pushed new growth each year but my sub-alpine firs only had new growth the year they were collected, and then last summer did not grow, though they showed zero sign of decline. So this year, I'm wanting to reduce the hemlocks and Engelmanns at the very least, and then maybe one of the sub-alpine firs. Can anyone offer any advice for timing of major pruning for these species? I had planned on early Spring as buds swell, as with most conifer species, but wanted to see if there was something special about any of these species I should consider. Also, what are reasonable amounts to reduce these species of trees to when in a healthy state? Is 50% too drastic?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm bumpin this cuz right now may be a good time.

Sorce

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Subalpine and alpine trees sometimes grow in cycles and I think that may be the case....they may be waiting to pop later....could you provide species names if you know?

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
For more from a professional I recommend that you check out Michael Hagedorn's website https://crataegus.com/ and check out all his posts on Mtn Hemi's.
I can try and answer your question on major pruning of mountain hemlock as I have been working on mine with the help of two guys up here that have worked with them for decades. One important thing to remember is they don't backbud but the branches are fairly flexible so that you can twist/put movement in them to shorten any long ones.
As the buds swell is the time for repotting but do not do major root pruning and major branch pruning in the same year. I put collected ones in a mix of pumice and decomposed bark and remove original soil over a few re- potting'. Winter months can be a good time to complete some major pruning and once your tree has matured you shoul prune off the current years growth which will keep your branch pads shape.........there is so much more so good luck and post some photos.
Ps True firs can backbud but I only have a couple of small ones.
Cheers G.

Reaction score
For more from a professional I recommend that you check out Michael Hagedorn's website https://crataegus.com/ and check out all his posts on Mtn Hemi's.
I can try and answer your question on major pruning of mountain hemlock as I have been working on mine with the help of two guys up here that have worked with them for decades. One important thing to remember is they don't backbud but the branches are fairly flexible so that you can twist/put movement in them to shorten any long ones.
As the buds swell is the time for repotting but do not do major root pruning and major branch pruning in the same year. I put collected ones in a mix of pumice and decomposed bark and remove original soil over a few re- potting'. Winter months can be a good time to complete some major pruning and once your tree has matured you shoul prune off the current years growth which will keep your branch pads shape.........there is so much more so good luck and post some photos.
Ps True firs can backbud but I only have a couple of small ones.
Cheers G.

You beat me too it. Not much else I can add (coming from my experience in landscaping and working with these plants). But to add: Mtn hemlocks do bend easily but it is hard for them to "Stay" in these new shapes. They naturally bend under the weight of snow and have adapted to "bounce back" in the spring. It will likely take several years of wiring IMHO to get bigger branches to "Stay" in place.

As for pruning, once the worst of the winter cold is over it is fine to prune (though it takes an exceptionally cold spell to get a mtn hemlock to die back), they will die quiet readily if they dry out. They do not like drying out at all.

best of luck. :)

reddog

Mame
Reaction score
ryan neal at mirai bonsai has a program for these natives but his program is rather expensive. I sent him a couple of questions a while ago and never got a response back (guess I should have included a check!). Dan Robinson and Michael Hagedorn have been more willing to help a beginner.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hey @jferrier, you also asked about a 50% reduction, I think that would way be too drastic and harmful....reduce ut in stages. Depending on what you have collected one thing I've done to bring the foliage closer to the trunk and make it feel more in balance is the removal of larger longer branches, using the smaller ones along the trunk in between the large ones. Here is a thread I started back in 2011 with my first collected Hm which may help you http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/mountain-hemlock-repot.5469/
Also @Bavarian Raven, you are correct they (branches) need to be consistently wired, re-wired to hold shape but once you have it they do maintain shape. See thread quoted ro jferrier

Top Bottom