NORTHWIND MAPLE - ACER PALMATUM X PSEUDOSIEBOLDIANUM 'NORTHWIND'

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Has anyone tried these? I was at a nursery today and saw these Japanese x Korean maple hybrids. Beautiful traits of Japanese maple with the cold hardiness (zone 4) of Korean maple.
I stole a couple of cuttings. Didn’t feel bad since we spent over 100$ there today. 2F2DF420-171A-407A-957B-7A4722813D3D.jpegNice color. Korean maple shaped leaf.
I wish I snapped a photo of the trees. I could see myself buying one or two of these.

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
End justifies the means, eh? Next time don't steal.

Funny watching people justify bad behavior. Like spending a lot of money at a place justifies stealing from them. Wtf man?

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
End justifies the means, eh? Next time don't steal.

Funny watching people justify bad behavior. Like spending a lot of money at a place justifies stealing from them. Wtf man?
Your right. 😥
I will just do some research and then decide if It is a tree id like to purchase.

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Beautiful traits of Japanese maple with the cold hardiness (zone 4) of Korean maple

When you keep an Acer in a bonsai pot and train it as a bonsai, their hardiness rating is largely irrelevant. There are significant advantages to protecting the tree in winter regardless of whether the tree is rated for Zone 3 or Zone 6, especially because if you're in Zone 4 or 5 that likely means you're getting a good amount of snow every winter.

Also, unlike most Japanese Maples, the variety that you stole the cuttings from, North Wind, is a registered trademark (and the product of decades of research and hardwork). I'm no expert, but I believe the trademark does not prevent propagation, only sale of the material (although a patent could go further and prevent propagation as well--I'm not sure if there is one in this case). This is one reason why I have not bothered to experiment with these hybrids myself (the other reasons being leaf size, shape, etc.)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Has anyone tried these? I was at a nursery today and saw these Japanese x Korean maple hybrids. Beautiful traits of Japanese maple with the cold hardiness (zone 4) of Korean maple.
I stole a couple of cuttings. Didn’t feel bad since we spent over 100$ there today. View attachment 440554Nice color. Korean maple shaped leaf.
I wish I snapped a photo of the trees. I could see myself buying one or two of these.
I plan to sell Japanese maple cuttings one day. I ain’t letting you in my backyard!

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I plan to sell Japanese maple cuttings one day. I ain’t letting you in my backyard!
Ha! Good call.
I think I would like to own one of these. Very pretty. Even if just planted in the yard.
I just gotta find a way to steal 260$ first. 🤔🤣

Top Bottom