Norway maple air-layer experiment

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
P1120110.jpg P1120112.jpg P1120111.jpg P1120114.jpg

I was thinking about airlayering the branch from thisCrimson king Norway maple. The whole tree needs to go since it is mostly dead, so I figured I might as well salvage what I can. Do the leaves reduce very well on these? Can the internodes be shortened? Do you need to see more of the live portion to see what there is to work with as far as branching, etc.?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'd personally not invest time with this material. It is hard to impossible to reduce the leaves significantly and similar with its internodes. However if you're intent in doing the experiment anyhow, I suggested in the attached pic what perhaps can be done with it. Good luck! :)

P1120110.jpg

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just thought it would be a safe piece of material to do an airlayer on since 2/3 of the base already is separated from the trunk below. The flare that is already around the base is what inspired me to want to take on this project. I envisioned the trunkline the same as you have described, except lower on the tree because there is already a wider base to start with.
Like this: P1120110.jpg

Top Bottom