Norway maple progress

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will this become a price winning bonsai? That's very unlikely.
Can you have fun with it and enjoy working with it? Sure you can.

I have the related Acer pseudoplatanus. Also because it grew in my garden and I liked its trunkline. The leaves do reduce but the petioles are quite long and the internodes are tricky.
If I run out of space it will go but for now I like it.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Norways like Reds and silvers CAN be good specimens.. it depends on the tree..

I observed 300-400 Rubrum (mostly) seedlings this year... overall.. I kept 18 ish (including 4 POSSIBLE dwarves) which I considered “suitable” for Bonsai purposes....

So out of 300-400... only 18 could continue their TinyTree Journey..

It works.. with the RIGHT portions of the RNA being “read”.

🤓

(I actually like my “Platenoides Selects” a little more than my “Rubrum Selects”... but it’s close)

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@hinmo24t - I watched that video, most were Norway maples, but at least 3 were Acer palmatum and 2 were trident maples. One I think was Acer ginnala, the Amur maple. You could tell because they looked in proportion where the Norways all had leaves that were too big. But the majority were Norway maples. Good illustration of the issues with Norway maples, but also a few Norways did look "pretty good".

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
@hinmo24t - I watched that video, most were Norway maples, but at least 3 were Acer palmatum and 2 were trident maples. One I think was Acer ginnala, the Amur maple. You could tell because they looked in proportion where the Norways all had leaves that were too big. But the majority were Norway maples. Good illustration of the issues with Norway maples, but also a few Norways did look "pretty good".
was looking at that thing this morning (the tree)...enjoying it and doing well considering the time i potted it up.
and feel like i might be able to do something with it

already looking forward to spring next year...oy

thanks

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
From what I’ve seen over the years they almost look better as a small bonsai. I wonder if maybe they just get too vigorous as the gain size/caliper. I’m an autumn foliage junkie so I totally get it. We have a sugar maple at the nursery and unfortunately it’s usually kept in the shade so the leaves get stupid huge. But when fall comes it is the best tree in the nursery with that pink orange glow. I took a photo of the hoop houses and it’s absolutely the first tree you see. If you aren’t afraid of leaf size I’d keep your eyes peeled for a sugar as well

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
From what I’ve seen over the years they almost look better as a small bonsai. I wonder if maybe they just get too vigorous as the gain size/caliper. I’m an autumn foliage junkie so I totally get it. We have a sugar maple at the nursery and unfortunately it’s usually kept in the shade so the leaves get stupid huge. But when fall comes it is the best tree in the nursery with that pink orange glow. I took a photo of the hoop houses and it’s absolutely the first tree you see. If you aren’t afraid of leaf size I’d keep your eyes peeled for a sugar as well
i think youre onto something

Top Bottom