Norway Maple Tree Air Layered

thhynesct

Seed
Reaction score
Some Stats on this - Started as a seedling in 2010 I let it grow and grow with the hopes of one day transforming.

2022 the Tree was just over 4 feet tall about a 2-3" thick trunk at the base and was very leggy for its size. Option, Air Layer it!

The first week of April performed my first air layer. The first week in July the roots were beginning to bulge outwards! I unwrapped it and was surprised
at the number of roots that grew. After watching some videos I decided that it did indeed have enough roots to be cut from the base and potted up.
Cut it yesterday, potted it up, prepped potting soil, mixed in some sand for better drainage, wrapped some more peat moss around the root ball potted it up and the result is pictured.

Over the last 11 years or so I have been cutting it back trimming it, and in the last 3 years doing complete defoliation on it. This year none of that just a quick trim to get its shape and hopefully focus on
the production of roots, not leaves and branches. After cutting below the air layer, I then reduced the plant back by about 50%. Just wondering at this point.

Just leave it alone for the rest of the year and Should I plant it in the ground below the frost and snow line. Our winters here in the North East can be brutal and I am thinking
that leaving it exposed like this may not be a good thing.

I have three other Norway Maples that I have been running back and training they are in the ground and not touched. One is due for an air layer but I think it's too late in the season
and to tackle that tree this coming spring. Also note that I defoliated this tree already, on the first of July, and the leaves are beginning to fill in nice and small

I have a long way to go here but I really am quite pleased with this tree so far.

Attachments

• IMG_20220707_174806_199.jpg
    IMG_20220707_174806_199.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20220707_174937_144.jpg
    IMG_20220707_174937_144.jpg
    381.2 KB · Views: 35

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!