Norway Maple yamadori

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Earlier this year I was working outside (i do tree service so im always in the woods or dofferent properties) and I saw a tiny mound of fresh maple leaves on the ground like broccoli sticking up,i moved the earth away,was few inch deep compost from leaf fall and natural deciduous breakdowns ,and it had been covering up this thick little trunk that was cut at 'ground' height and maybe mowed over for years

We were driving bucket trucks and dump trucks through the trail so i knew it would be crushed and i had to pull it early in day instead of before going home..i cut a liter bottle like so as ive done in the past..stick experienced transplant shock and took weeks before bouncing back...as soon as the leaves began to stiffen back up and not be so drooped,I proceeded to slowly defoliate...this encouraged new growth right around that perfect crown area..slowly defoliated,..one mature leaf at a time day by day,and when it had a bunch of mini leaves coming in i finished off the old shoots

As it got leggy shoots I nipped them back tondesired canopy..eventually the stems wouldnt stretch out so far before popping the leaf fully....this ramification process has really brought this tree to be one of my favorite

IL take a closer pic of the ramifications when i get back home..just wanted to share,have had the account for a bit but never use it but been casually documenting some processes

Attachments

• 20200626_143916.jpg
    20200626_143916.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 20200802_103755.jpg
    20200802_103755.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 20200802_104135.jpg
    20200802_104135.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 20200726_170104.jpg
    20200726_170104.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 100
  • 20200806_094653.jpg
    20200806_094653.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 20200723_064642.jpg
    20200723_064642.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 20200731_100145.jpg
    20200731_100145.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 20200725_201425.jpg
    20200725_201425.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 73

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Leaves dont look in their best appearance right now but the first stage of ramifications are kind of shown

Attachments

• 20200921_121021_HDR.jpg
    20200921_121021_HDR.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 20200921_120935.jpg
    20200921_120935.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 20200921_120949_HDR.jpg
    20200921_120949_HDR.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 87

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Curious to see where this goes.

Note: Yamadori is a term reserved for aged materials that has been areduced in growth through the forces of nature. This is just collected material.
It's Origins are also more specific and that they were pulling these trees from the highest mountain peaks,to the effect of 'of the hills'' or something similar. I've been under the impression it's been more Loosely used.. I'll be sure to be more select with using the word tho!

PimGinseng

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
if its from a forest it isnt yamadori.

seen any good bonsai examples of this species?
@BobbyLane Yamadori literally means “collecting plants in the mountains”, could be a forest or any place. It’s the act of collecting plants in the mountains, could be my backyard in Italy in the mountains, still Yamadori as long as they have grown by themselves in the “wild”.

Just clarifying as part of the learning curve for all ;)

Ciao,
Pim

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
@BobbyLane Yamadori literally means “collecting plants in the mountains”, could be a forest or any place. It’s the act of collecting plants in the mountains, could be my backyard in Italy in the mountains, still Yamadori as long as they have grown by themselves in the “wild”.

Ciao,
Pim
What about an oak tree, planted by a squirrel and grown without any human activities, collected by me, but it's in my yard? Is that yamadori or yardadori?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It’s the act of collecting plants in the mountains, could be my backyard in Italy in the mountains, still Yamadori as long as they have grown by themselves in the “wild”.
Guess I disagree with this assessment. Yamadori is more than a tree grown by themselves in the wild.

PimGinseng

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What about an oak tree, planted by a squirrel and grown without any human activities, collected by me, but it's in my yard? Is that yamadori or yardadori?
@Wulfskaar Pure gold 🤣👍🏻
This one put a smile upon my face!

My Japanese friends on LINE translated it for me and explained it, since they have a certain way of explaining (which isn’t always easy to follow) I crossed referenced it with a website and it’s correct.

Basically “without human interaction”, so yeah the hypothetical squirrel story counts @leatherback that also answers your question.

Now if we want to be really picky we can discuss the definition of “mountain”, at which height is a hill considered a mountain 🤣🤣 But I’ll leave that to the someone else ....

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
@Wulfskaar Pure gold 🤣👍🏻
This one put a smile upon my face!

My Japanese friends on LINE translated it for me and explained it, since they have a certain way of explaining (which isn’t always easy to follow) I crossed referenced it with a website and it’s correct.

Basically “without human interaction”, so yeah the hypothetical squirrel story counts @leatherback that also answers your question.

Now if we want to be really picky we can discuss the definition of “mountain”, at which height is a hill considered a mountain 🤣🤣 But I’ll leave that to the someone else ....
What if it was not a mountain last year but is today does a collected tree then become a yamadori.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
so yeah the hypothetical squirrel story counts @leatherback that also answers your question.
I think you might have a fundamental misunderstanding of my point.
In my view, a Yamadori has to have an air of age, or suffering. Else it is just a tree dug up somewhere.

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
I think the term yamadori loses something in translation it means more than a tree off a mountainside. I think we all use and pronounce japanese phrases wrong so there is no need to bust balls over it 😂

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

Ciao,
Pim
i know what it means. again, a tree collected from a forest isnt yamadori, its simply a collected tree.

'without human interaction' it actually has a much broader meaning.

if you dig up a stick in the mountains that grew that way by itself, no it isnt yamadori😉
you can call it as such if you like but i wont be convinced.

Last edited:

PimGinseng

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the term yamadori loses something in translation it means more than a tree off a mountainside. I think we all use and pronounce japanese phrases wrong so there is no need to bust balls over it 😂
Exactly! PS: How do you say “dust balls” in Japanese 🤣

PimGinseng

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i know what it means. again, a tree collected from a forest isnt yamadori, its simply a collected tree.

'without human interaction' it actually has a much broader meaning.

if you dig up a stick in the mountains that grew that way by itself, no it isnt yamadori😉
you can call it as such if you like but i wont be convinced.
Thanks for sharing your view, not trying to convince anyone “tomatoes” “tomatoes” (I know you all that read that in two different ways 😉

that’s what makes the world beautiful, we are all different 🙏🏻 Namaste

PimGinseng

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you might have a fundamental misunderstanding of my point.
In my view, a Yamadori has to have an air of age, or suffering. Else it is just a tree dug up somewhere.
Appreciate your point of view 👍🏻🪴

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for sharing your view, not trying to convince anyone “tomatoes” “tomatoes” (I know you all that read that in two different ways 😉
well.. digging up a thread that has been dormant for 6 months to correct a respected member..

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hmm.. what about “Samaras... that fell off of trees, in the hilly, craggy areas.. collected mid-summer as they where growing little sprouts in cold, divets between stones”-adori.
(Norways)
🤣🤣
06A77838-4CC9-4B54-B771-F434C2762B7B.jpeg

PimGinseng

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
well.. digging up a thread that has been dormant for 6 months to correct a respected member..
Digging up like Yamadori? (pun intended)

Listen best man, I didn’t offend anyone I didn’t correct anyone I reported the translation of Yamadori and it’s not forbidden to respond to older threads or topics.
So chill have a chill pill and enjoy life, if you feel offended or hurt in some way I apologize but I think you are a little bit overreacting.
I am a very zen kind of person so let it go ok, this BS is not what Bonsai is about.
PS: We are all respected members

Top Bottom