Norway maple

Kahless

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Are Norway maples any good for bonsai? I have all these little seedlings in my garden that I’m not sure if I should let grow or pluck. thanks!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of the worst actually. Huge leafs straight stems, aggressive roots, strong apical dominance .... just a few of the reasons

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think they are lots of fun

full

2017-09-27 12.13.09.jpg

pnwnovice

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I wouldn't spend money on one, but if you can get them for free why not try? My sister in law gave me some seedlings from her big Norway maple so I'm trying my hand with them.

Attachments

• 20210424_104634.jpg
    20210424_104634.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 24

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I see SO many... and the leaves DO reduce.. they are one of the most prolific “genetically varying” maple.. they also do VERY well in my climate ;) . So I like to have fun with them as well..

Most of the planted “city trees” in my area are provided by Arbor Day Foundation.. they know Platenoides will do well here, in little pockets of pavement.. so most maples on the city streets here are Platenoides cultivars... So one could observe the growth of MANY seedlings between those grates.. pick out the smallest, glossiest leaves.. or select for internode size...

I can’t discount a maple that thrives in my harsh climate, who also has leaves that reduce...

I sell a few for yard trees...

😁

Top Bottom