[Norway Spruce] Any ideas ?

Epicea

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi,

Do you have any idea for this one ?
Should I make a Jin in the top?

I think I will let him grow for a season. Cause I trim the new needles this year.

But I don't know what I really can do with this. And if it worth it.

Thanks for your help
IMG_20210828_170422.jpgIMG_20210828_170428.jpgIMG_20210828_170434.jpgIMG_20210828_170445.jpg

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wouldn’t be a bad idea to keep it in check every year to obtain your future design. If left unchecked it will be harder to work with. Specially if you aren’t that advanced. I had two and killed one by cutting to much off at once. This forum has good tips on keeping them healthy and maintaining good growth through pruning technique.
They aren’t to friendly to beginners. To get it to the style you want. It would be good to start there. I can’t give really good advice on your next step and the following. People usually cut the new growth mid to late summer about a half to 2/3 back to build ramification on a branch. So maybe start there on the branches you want to keep in the design. And start getting rid of the parts you don’t want in steps. They backbud pretty well if pruned in spring if you need to bring new foliage closer to the trunk. But I think that can be even more of a gamble to the beginner. You can lose the branch if not done properly. If you don’t get any expert advice and are afraid to kill the tree. I’d wire the branches you want in early winter to execute your design. And cut back some branches you don’t want. But leave some to keep the tree in good health for spring. And start ramification technique on the branches you want. And continue creating the dead wood you want and getting rid of the part of the tree you don’t want. They are tricky trees.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love the screen name unless there is some French thing that makes it not as cool as how I'm reading it.

Welcome to Crazy!

What do you mean by "trimmed the new needles"?

Trimming actual needles or pruning?

Sorce

Epicea

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love the screen name unless there is some French thing that makes it not as cool as how I'm reading it.

Welcome to Crazy!

What do you mean by "trimmed the new needles"?

Trimming actual needles or pruning?

Sorce
Trim the new shoot. A month after the bud opened

Top Bottom