Norway Spruce in Zone 7 Durham NC

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi Spruce owners. I just posted a thread on my move from Cleveland to Durham, and wanted to ask this more specific question. Do any of you have Norway Spruce in North Carolina, or a similar zone 7 climate? My research has shown that Norway Spruce isn't really found that far south except in the mountains in the Western end of the state. Have any of you had success growing this Northern European species in hotter climates than its native range?
20180523_202624.jpg

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I could give it a good home here in the mountains of WNC and you could come visit it occasionally.;)

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
There are some Colorado Blue spruce and Norway spruce planted in the landscape here in metro Atlanta. They do ok but are not nearly as big or vigorous as the ones I see in the Northeast. I think your spruce will survive but it might not thrive... time will tell. Make sure it's in GOOD soil and consider some afternoon shade when it summer hits, which is right about now. Good luck.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The information I have read on Norway spruce says it can survive in zone 7 but prefers cool summers which is going to be a problem in the Durham area. My daughter lives near there and I avoid visiting in the summer. It usually runs 10-15 defrees hotter there than up here in the mountains. I suggest you contact someone with the Triangle Bonsai Society (trianglebonsai.com) and see if they can advise you.

Top Bottom