Norway spruce

Hunterc05

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am wondering about starting a Norway Spruce. This tree will be grown indoors, by window with 5 hours of light. Should I plant all the seeds in one pot, I have five seeds total? The pot that I am thinking of planting these in will be a 2 inch peat moss starter pot. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Hunter

VERMONT USA !!!!

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello!

If you just started with a seedling I can confirm that you have zero risk to let it outside.

Last year's I have a really young norway spruce sprout in September, and he has to get through winter.

They doing really well, don't be worry

I don't have pict taken last winter but it was really small.

Here, from March to 2 week ago !

Tips: make the soil don't keep moist too long but give it good water

Last edited:

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It is extremely difficult to create the environment indoor to promote a healthy coniferous tree, be it a spruce, pine, juniper, fir, etc.

Your best bet for this tree, if you would like to start indoors, would be to start the seeds inside about late February, early March, and then move them outdoors for the summer. After that point, the tree would be left outside year round. I have done this with pines, spruce, hemlock, and larch with success. It requires a decent light set-up; 5hrs of window sun might not be enough light.

Hunterc05

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello guys,

Anyone know what the problem with the one on the right could be. Bringing these in at night temperatures are in the 30s. This is at 5 weeks. The plant has been laying down for a week now.

Attachments

• 85251C0A-3F83-4FD1-B7DE-25BA7CE6FBA4.jpeg
    85251C0A-3F83-4FD1-B7DE-25BA7CE6FBA4.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 63

Lumaca

Mame
Reaction score
Hello guys,

Anyone know what the problem with the one on the right could be. Bringing these in at night temperatures are in the 30s. This is at 5 weeks. The plant has been laying down for a week now.
Looks like a classic case of Damping Off (fungal disease) that has claimed a LOT of my seedlings.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks like a classic case of Damping Off (fungal disease) that has claimed a LOT of my seedlings.
Thats why i always advice to plant seeds in hundreds.....
ive planted more than 500 JM, around 100 only germinated, 2 years from that i have only 40 trees, its nature, you cant win..........

Hunterc05

Seedling
Reaction score
644A3AA5-9E39-4D5E-A582-12F1F6731D7A.jpegSo I have given up on the one to the right. This one seems to be growing fine, the stem has started to turn brown since I have moved it outside full time. Temperatures are reaching the high twenties at night, is that the problem?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Have you considered that you started these seeds in the fall before winter when things are not growing and maybe it would work better if you started the seeds in early spring when most tree seeds germinate and grow?

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've tried starting spruce indoors, they all dampened off and die in weeks. I started a blue spruce outside this past spring and it was too small to overwinter outside so I keep it by a sunny window to allow a longer growing season. If ya start em inside or out of season they're likely to die and fast.

ThornBc

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I currently have maybe about 100 seeds of Abies fraseri stratifying in the fridge in a tupperware over moist sharp sand, that's how I stratify all conifers like fir, spruce and any other tree which requires a cold period to germinate. I also sow them in trays which I then sink in a raised bed with a protective net to prevent digging up -winters in Scotland are generally cold enough. I wouldn't germinate and grow a spruce in mostly coconut coir though, they're adaptable enough that anything else is basically better than that. Also, I agree that you should sow in larger quantities if possible, and check a sample of your batch for viability to get an idea of what chances you have.

Attachments

• PXL_20201127_222941714.MP.jpg
    PXL_20201127_222941714.MP.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 24
  • MVIMG_20200701_163921.jpg
    MVIMG_20200701_163921.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 25

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you live in an area where the climate is suitable for spruce (temperate/cool enough) you should be able to go in any nursery and get your hand on a Norway spruce in a 3-5G container. The dwarf cultivar "Bird’s nest" is very common. To me, this would be much preferable for a beginner, as you could quickly learn repotting and branch selection on such a piece of material, instead of watching a seedling grow for years while not being able to apply any bonsai technique to it.

Hunterc05

Seedling
Reaction score
If you live in an area where the climate is suitable for spruce (temperate/cool enough) you should be able to go in any nursery and get your hand on a Norway spruce in a 3-5G container. The dwarf cultivar "Bird’s nest" is very common. To me, this would be much preferable for a beginner, as you could quickly learn repotting and branch selection on such a piece of material, instead of watching a seedling grow for years while not being able to apply any bonsai technique to it.
Thank you.

Louisinass

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
MAR
Have you considered that you started these seeds in the fall before winter when things are not growing and maybe it would work better if you started the seeds in early spring when most tree seeds germinate and grow?
Spruce often sprout un september then they go through their first winter without any trouble =)

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Spruce often sprout un september then they go through their first winter without any trouble =)

Buried and insulated under a bed of leaves/needles and a few feet of snow.
Not really exposed to the elements and becasue it is cold, they probably dont have as much growth as exhibited by these in pots

Louisinass

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
MAR
I collect a young seedling 2 year ago in my parent home and I keep him like any other plant. No problem at all. I love spruce

Top Bottom