Not a good look on this maple

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
There’s a big black stain mark on my green Japanese maples. The leafs have rest dots on them. I’m thinking it’s the wilt disease. Does anyone know what this is? Should I remove from forest? Can it be save? Thank you for your help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 99

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Might be pseudomonas. If so, I dont think it can be saved and can spread to your other maples.

I'd remove it and dispose of it in the trash so it can't spread.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
No bueno...

I'm not sure it can be saved, but at the bare minimum, get yourself a systemic bactericide and fungicide (the two often accompany each other).

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
My understanding is that Pseudomonas infections are generally fostered by root or bark trauma in the cool and wet spring months... mid August would be an odd time for such a condition to manifest itself. I can't say what's going on with the tree other than black bark means that the cambium beneath it is dead and the potential causes are many... trauma, infection, sun burn, etc., Contrary to what many think, a tree can recover from Pseudomonas but they have to grow very vigorously to do it. Ultimately, that means dialing in your husbandry. It wouldn't hurt to set it away from your other trees. Applying a fungicide and a H2O2 root drench wouldn't hurt- you'll need to search for the details on the drench here or elsewhere.

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
No bueno...

I'm not sure it can be saved, but at the bare minimum, get yourself a systemic bactericide and fungicide (the two often accompany each other).

I’ve been spraying it with copper and bayer 3-1 by monthly. Maybe it’s too cool where I’m keeping it

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
My understanding is that Pseudomonas infections are generally fostered by root or bark trauma in the cool and wet spring months... mid August would be an odd time for such a condition to manifest itself. I can't say what's going on with the tree other than black bark means that the cambium beneath it is dead and the potential causes are many... trauma, infection, sun burn, etc., Contrary to what many think, a tree can recover from Pseudomonas but they have to grow very vigorously to do it. Ultimately, that means dialing in your husbandry. It wouldn't hurt to set it away from your other trees. Applying a fungicide and a H2O2 root drench wouldn't hurt- you'll need to search for the details on the drench here or elsewhere.

Hope so, I separated it from the rest. Cause may come from where I place it in the yard. It’s cool and shades after 1-2pm

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
According to that article from Cragaegus, it's bacterial, not fungal. Fungicide will help mitigate any additional possible fungus infection but it will not help the pseudomonas infection

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
According to that article from Cragaegus, it's bacterial, not fungal. Fungicide will help mitigate any additional possible fungus infection but it will not help the pseudomonas infection
Pseudomonas are bacterial organisms... the peroxide drench is potentially beneficial in treating it. The fungicide is to merely "cover all the bases".

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pseudomonas are bacterial organisms... the peroxide drench is potentially beneficial in treating it. The fungicide is to merely "cover all the bases".
Yep, I understand the peroxide drench will help with bacteria as it is anti bacterial.
I also stated that the fungicide would mitigate any possible fungal infections.

Just wanted to make sure the OP knows the black infection on the trunk is not fungal.

I definitely agree with doing a bit more to try and "cover the bases" so to speak

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Idk if it’s good news, but the black stuff faded away. It’s kind of pale now compare to before. Not sure if this will help y’all identify the cause.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Copper doesn't list Pseudomonas control and if I recall, Bayer 3-in-1's fungicidal component is pretty weak, and I'm not positive it controls pseudomonas. Zerotol (peroxide based) and the Phyton## fungicides control it. Some biological fungicides do too.

Top Bottom