Not another UPpot query.... nooo...but yes, an oak.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Repotted this oak only about 3 months ago. Reduced roots quite a bit.
But it already "seems" to be lifting the soil surface.
I have a different pot that is a ..bit.. shallower but flatter, wider, longer that might give some good room for roots.
Reason I am concerned is knowing that oaks are sensitive to root mangling.

I'd say this would be an up-pot but then again, I've never subjected oak to mid term root work.

I guess I can just scrape off the top of the soil that is escaping over the rim of the pot and let it run the season as-is, but just asking here for good measure.

Do?
Don't ?

oak23.jpg

Whole tree but just watered.

oak23a.jpg

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I don't think anyone does their trees any favors by up-potting. I'd imagine the sensitivity of an oak's roots would also appreciate being left alone. This doesn't appear to be a show tree, nor in its show pot, so why not create a lip around the edge of the pot to keep the soil in and deal with it correctly at the next repot.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It’s difficult from the photo for me to see the lifting out of the pot soil surface that you indicate as a problem. I don’t see it. I would leave it along until a more proper repotting time. At that repotting time I would plant the tree, and prune the roots, with the inevitable growth in mind….leave bottom room as well as top room…for root growth that will happen. Replanting at just the right looking height, with the roots compacted right to the bottom in the pot sort of sets you up for facing the lifting problem. Nice looking Oak tree!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
With the heat you get .....you want to up pot now?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
DID NOT DO IT !!!

After all, it's NOT A SHOW TREE !!
Even though I have showed it to the forum. 😁

But it's MY tree! There may be millions like it, but this one is MINE !
My tree is alive, even as I, because it is my life.
Thus, I will learn it as a brother.
I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its leaves and its trunk.

:eek:

Top Bottom