Not bad for $50!!!

ohiogrown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Two different people off Ohio’s craigslist.

ohiogrown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Yeah I couldn’t believe it. I also just ordered the John naka “bonsai techniques 1”. But I read a review that said if you were going to get the first or the second that you should get the second one. How do you guys feel? Should I get the second one also?

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice little score, I think I have most of these. Keep in mind much of the info in these books are outdated and newer methods/techniques have been developed as our understanding of bonsai has evolved. They are great for inspiration though.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I got all these but 4 of them for $50. I got a lot of reading to do!
Nice collection of books!

Keep in mind much of the info in these books are outdated and newer methods/techniques have been developed...
Nah, the soil chapters? Some pine pruning techniques that were kept almost secret for a long time? Peter Warren's book is pretty actual.

They are great for inspiration though.
Definitely, the one I mentioned and H. Tomlinson's book is full of beautiful specimen trees.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I believe I paid 50 for the two Peter Adams books and shipping (maples and flowering).

Nice purchase

ohiogrown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Nice little score, I think I have most of these. Keep in mind much of the info in these books are outdated and newer methods/techniques have been developed as our understanding of bonsai has evolved. They are great for inspiration though.
I did know somethings have changed.
Nice collection of books!

Nah, the soil chapters? Some pine pruning techniques that were kept almost secret for a long time? Peter Warren's book is pretty actual.

Definitely, the one I mentioned and H. Tomlinson's book is full of beautiful specimen trees.
so ur saying most of the info is valid?

music~maker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Wow, that's an incredible deal. Lots of good books there. The Bonsai from the Wild book is currently worth more than you paid for all of them. That one's a real treasure.

As for outdated techniques, probably the biggest changes are around soil. There will almost certainly be other differences, but the way most of us think about soil has radically changed over the past 20 years.

Enjoy!

ohiogrown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Wow, that's an incredible deal. Lots of good books there. The Bonsai from the Wild book is currently worth more than you paid for all of them. That one's a real treasure.

As for outdated techniques, probably the biggest changes are around soil. There will almost certainly be other differences, but the way most of us think about soil has radically changed over the past 20 years.

Enjoy!
Bonsai from the wild is actually one I got before the others. I had 4 or 5 already. Thanks for the info!

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I did know somethings have changed.

so ur saying most of the info is valid?
Will the methods work, of course, will they work well, yes. Is there better info out there, certainly? I've only turned to the internet and social media for Bonsai info the last 4-5 years, but I've learned so much more in that time. The books are a great source of info, but can certainly stagnate your learning if you let them.

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Other than what I taught myself I've learned everything else I know from this forum.
I don't even own one book on bonsai.
I think the key is Mike, to not shut the door on any possible avenues for knowledge, the tricky part is sorting out good info from bad. I was self taught the first 7-8 years then I joined our club, that just opened a whole new world of knowledge and people, like the Vance's, Jack Wikle, Cyril Grum, etc. Which led to my exposure to Boon, Ryan, Bjorn, Crazy, etc.

ohiogrown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
I think the key is Mike, to not shut the door on any possible avenues for knowledge, the tricky part is sorting out good info from bad. I was self taught the first 7-8 years then I joined our club, that just opened a whole new world of knowledge and people, like the Vance's, Jack Wikle, Cyril Grum, etc. Which led to my exposure to Boon, Ryan, Bjorn, Crazy, etc.
Yes this forum is amazing! I learn so much here. It’s good to hear from more experienced people. I try to get info from as many sources as I can. I found the people you named through YouTube and have learned a lot from their videos. I’m a member on Mirai live and I love the live streams. I just signed up for a workshop with bjorn at the “gateway to bonsai” in April so I’m pretty excited for that. But yeah I could not pass up the deal on the books! Trying to take in as much info as I can to be ready for next spring. My second season of bonsai!

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I like that one on the bottom left by Peter Warren. That's my first (and so far only) book. I love the extent to which he defines both Chinese and Japanese styles and how they differ. It's full of good pictures and generally covers a lot of topics, though I wish pre bonsai and general care were covered more. He shows a first repot of a pine seedling where he prunes all 1 of 1 whole root, but in the next picture it's all wired up literati style. I guess the middle is secret magic.

Top Bottom