Not Minerva Flowering Quince

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I picked up a 'Not Minerva' Japanese Quince from Evergreen Gardenworks early this year. It looked like this:

start.jpg

Yesterday I removed the wire from the bottom two branches. I had meant to finish wiring out the whole thing after doing the first two branches, bust I never got back to it. Well once the foliage started growing back after the heatwave torched most of it, I thought I would put some more wire on before it completely fills in. Here's what it looks like now from what I'm currently thinking is the front and also from the left side as well.

front.jpg

left.jpg

I like the movement through the trunk, but at this point I'm not really sure what to do with the two middle branches. I'm thinking the one going to the back will be important for depth, but I don't know about the other one. Maybe it will come off eventually. It still needs to grow out, so I probably won't be pruning much for quite a while. Interestingly, it hasn't extended any new growth at all this year. It gave me a single flower, leafed out, and then just stopped.

It's a little more than pencil-thick and about 10 inches tall. I don't envision this ever getting super thick, since I can't grow anything in the ground. I think its current height is about what I'm after, but we'll see. Any tips, pointers, design ideas are appreciated.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Flowers are beginning to open up on this.
IMG_20220313_102155.jpg
Lots of them this year, which is nice.

Not all of the bends held when I removed the wire, so I'll have to redo it this year. I'm also planning to do root work in the late summer this year.

Top Bottom