NOT pots ???

Keithconn

Yamadori
Reaction score
Would love to see pics of folks that have plantings living in things other than traditional pots!

I know you’re out there!!!

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This was done more as a joke. VW piston. Customer dropped a valve on his rail buggy. Told him this was like a VooDoo Doll and if it dies, his new motor will too. Only a lil mum, so no big loss.
1654083990861.png
1654084051223.png

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Bald cypress knee:

View attachment 439702

This one got torn apart to baby one of the trees with a blond (albino) streak. I started a new forest in it this spring.
Very cool!! you treated the wood to preserve it?
This was done more as a joke. VW piston. Customer dropped a valve on his rail buggy. Told him this was like a VooDoo Doll and if it dies, his new motor will too. Only a lil mum, so no big loss.
View attachment 439709
View attachment 439710
Steampunk pot vibes

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
With the passing of Nick Lenz I'm going to do something with this in his memory. Just not sure what to plant in it yet. It's hollow and would need drain holes drilled. It would have to be a permanent planting as repotting would be w/a hammer. LOL
IMG_20220601_103036025_HDR.jpgIMG_20220601_103023117_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very cool!! you treated the wood to preserve it?

I keep it inside. I repot the trees in it every year. While it is empty, I sand lightly to refresh the surface and finish with some light coats of degradation.

The inside is coated with a rubber spray paint to protect from the constant damp. The probability is high that the heavy metals in the paint contributed to the albino streak in one of the trees that caused me to disassemble that forest last season.

The last forest spent 3 years in it before I took it apart. The new forest is new this spring. So far it's holding up very well. Being inside out of the UV helps...

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 439709
View attachment 439710

I looked at this one just right and now I can't shake the image of a robot head!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@57vert can't miss that!
Post in thread 'NOT pots ???' https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/not-pots.55783/post-965298

@LittleDingus that knee is interesting!

Ludarocks. Uh, not oo.

2 kill one bird.
20220602_052218.jpg

This one is coming out of a couple years of tip blight fantasticly, no spray, no design lost, no fertilizer.
20220602_052353.jpg
20220602_052420.jpg
20220602_052357.jpg
20220602_052948.jpg

The blighty tips are now so few I could probably cut them all and be safe.

#nospray

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I don't have any examples because my trees are either in ceramic pots or nursery pots, however I just wanted to point out that many ceramic pot styles are actually based on organic shapes or forms that were probably used previously. Examples being drum pots, bamboo pots, trunk or log pots, and barrel pots. (Erik Križovenský pot shown here).

Erik-Križovenský.jpg

Last edited:

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Not a tree. Maybe an accent plant. Hawthornia of some sort in a toothbrush holder, it has been in there for 4-5 years.
IMG_9648.jpg

One of my students has asked me to try to use this. It is a bit too long and the opening at the bottom is kind of small but I get flattered when the kids are interested in my hobbies so I plan to make something of it. I have plenty of ficus microcarpa cuttings with no real plans for them. I worry about airflow around the trunk causing algae issues but it might turn out interestingly.

IMG_9649.jpg

Keithconn

Yamadori
Reaction score
Not a tree. Maybe an accent plant. Hawthornia of some sort in a toothbrush holder, it has been in there for 4-5 years.
View attachment 439979

One of my students has asked me to try to use this. It is a bit too long and the opening at the bottom is kind of small but I get flattered when the kids are interested in my hobbies so I plan to make something of it. I have plenty of ficus microcarpa cuttings with no real plans for them. I worry about airflow around the trunk causing algae issues but it might turn out interestingly.

View attachment 439980
Thanks for sharing! Those are great. Love the toothbrush holder!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was thinking of starting a thread for “pots that are not pots,” but this thread seems to have it covered. I think this is intended to be a berry washer. My worry is that it will not be that stable with a cascade big enough for the “not pot,” but I liked the glaze.FCA1E9DA-D02F-40FC-A62E-49BFAC271F0B.jpegCCCF1C6C-AC59-4760-AAC8-DF9C7DE113E1.jpeg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Frankly I am amazed of the level of self discipline of the members of this sites. It's been more than a week and yet no one has posted a plant in a potty!

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
I was thinking of starting a thread for “pots that are not pots,” but this thread seems to have it covered. I think this is intended to be a berry washer. My worry is that it will not be that stable with a cascade big enough for the “not pot,” but I liked the glaze.View attachment 440754View attachment 440755
Thats freaking cool

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Frankly I am amazed of the level of self discipline of the members of this sites. It's been more than a week and yet no one has posted a plant in a potty!
I have often thought of taking a Florida native ficus aurea and planting it in a potty and allowing it to get escape roots, eventually it would strangle it. It would have to be in the backyard to avoid water lines, sidewalks, driveways, etc.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't have any examples because my trees are either in ceramic pots or nursery pots, however I just wanted to point out that many ceramic pot styles are actually based on organic shapes or forms that were probably used previously. Examples being drum pots, bamboo pots, trunk or log pots, and barrel pots. (Erik Križovenský pot shown here).

View attachment 439892
that looks fantastic. I've got to figure out how they got that stratified/layered texture.

Top Bottom