Not sure what this is.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
These bug looking things showed up today after some very hard rain on my Japanese Maple. I don’t believe they’re bugs but only way to describe them. They do scrape off but worried it might be mold or something. Will vinegar work on this?

Attachments

• AE176BB1-F77C-4046-9867-58C3D6AD549A.jpeg
    AE176BB1-F77C-4046-9867-58C3D6AD549A.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 95

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Photo resolution is not good enough for an accurate ID. They look a little like some insect eggs but could be friend or foe. Can't be sure until they hatch if that's what it is. I doubt it is fungus.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I’ll keep an eye on it hopefully nothing of concern. Mild winter here so not sure if insects are still surviving in it.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A vinegar mixture or sprayed straight vinegar would help you eliminate the eggs. I’d use the white vinegar straight out of the bottle in a handheld sprayer. They look exactly like aphid eggs when I enlarged the photo. Get rid of them. Vinegar works well. You can Google eliminating aphids and other insect eggs with vinegar and see close-up if that’s your situation.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
A vinegar mixture or sprayed straight vinegar would help you eliminate the eggs. I’d use the white vinegar straight out of the bottle in a handheld sprayer. They look exactly like aphid eggs when I enlarged the photo. Get rid of them. Vinegar works well. You can Google eliminating aphids and other insect eggs with vinegar and see close-up if that’s your situation.
Thanks for the response I will give this a try.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I am not exactly sure but had something very similar... I was told it was a type of scale that infects maples from a reasonably informed person. I am not exactly sure about that but I do know you can just wipe them off with your finger...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not so sure that is scale. Could be fungus. The section it is on looks like it's possibly deadwood...

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Now's not too late to spray with Lime Sulfur. Might be getting a little late to spray with oil if you're planning to spray with lime sulfur before bud break. Dormant sprays for maples/deciduous are proving to be pretty important for me.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Now's not too late to spray with Lime Sulfur. Might be getting a little late to spray with oil if you're planning to spray with lime sulfur before bud break. Dormant sprays for maples/deciduous are proving to be pretty important for me.
Great thanks for the reply, I will look into the lime sulfur as well.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Scale eggs. Remove and daub the spot with alcohol. Then watch closely for the ones you missed. Here’s what that looks like in April:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had a scale looking just like this on my poms. Alcohol and systemic got rid of it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Scale eggs. Remove and daub the spot with alcohol. Then watch closely for the ones you missed. Here’s what that looks like in April:
Thanks for the reply and information. I will give this a try as well.

Top Bottom