Not sure what to think of the Amur maple...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I wouldn't do anything to this right now designwise. It's weak and you're losing the left side as the budding there is not very strong. I've seen that kind of weak initial budding just before one of mine drops a branch.

FWIW, The black plastic nursery pot should have been removed and the plant repotted in late Feb. or so when the buds started moving. The shari is evidence this tree has been weak for a long time, probably since its trunk was initially broken. Since amur tend to throw out extremely vigorous shoots after such injuries, the thin branching here says the tree wasn't allowed to grow enough to recover, with someone trimming away the growth that would help it do so.

I was told here to leave it in the nursery pot last year when I shared after purchasing. Thus...I only went with the direction given me.

This came from Brent...he's known for good material. So I would like to think it's from our crazy winter. Not poor material at the get go.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I stand by my advice. Been growing amur for almost 20 years now.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I stand by my advice. Been growing amur for almost 20 years now.

Understandably...I dont wish to discredit your knowledge. Nor...state anything negative towards Brent. With many plus things I've heard of the man.

Yet if you don't mind offering advice since your well seasoned with this cultivar. And it's to late to repot. My only course of action is horticultural needs...and maybe let this recover a few more additional years before styling...is that how you see it? Because I would love to see it recover.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would make sure, the bottom of the pot is draining. Black plastic nursery pots can sometimes deform and have water pool in the bottom. I'd also do a quick check of the roots, popping the plant up halfway. If it smells bad, you need an immediate repot.

FWIW, I've had dieback on my amurs this winter. I have taken to giving them no protection in the winter, since they usually became active in Feb. I planted them on a slab last summer. I suspect with all the snow, they stayed too wet for too long. They bounce back quickly though, although big pruning wounds tend not to heal all that much, or even expand. I wouldn't get one with large pruning wounds already on the tree.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I haven't grown this species, but the foliage does look somewhat unhealthy to me, a bit chlorotic. Maybe it's just the lighting (or, did the tree start to leaf out inside?). I hope the roots are OK in that oversized pot. If you still have the old nursery pot and Brent's soil buried inside, it could be an issue. Doesn't he send trees in a pretty organic mix of perlite and peat? Maybe that's just the younger plants.

What time of year did you get this tree? Spring or fall? How was its health last season? I know you had another thread on it but I don't remember.

When I get trees, I like to get them out of the old soil and into a mix I'm familiar with as soon as possible. So that would have been this spring for this tree. It's good to know what's going on with the roots. In fact, it's pretty much imperative.

Edit to add - can you post a link to your other thread on this tree? I looked through your thread history but there are too many of them, can't find it.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I haven't grown this species, but the foliage does look somewhat unhealthy to me, a bit chlorotic. Maybe it's just the lighting (or, did the tree start to leaf out inside?). I hope the roots are OK in that oversized pot. If you still have the old nursery pot and Brent's soil buried inside, it could be an issue. Doesn't he send trees in a pretty organic mix of perlite and peat? Maybe that's just the younger plants.

What time of year did you get this tree? Spring or fall? How was its health last season? I know you had another thread on it but I don't remember.

When I get trees, I like to get them out of the old soil and into a mix I'm familiar with as soon as possible. So that would have been this spring for this tree. It's good to know what's going on with the roots. In fact, it's pretty much imperative.

It came to me in the fall. Whatever it's planted in...it's quick draining but does look a bit organic. Leafed out inside the greenhouse. And it arrived dormant.

Again...I was told here. To leave it in the nursery gallon pot. To wait to see how healthy it budded back before chopping branches off. That's what I did by direction given here at the forum.

How can a nursery pot have an issue with being in a larger pot with substrate as long as that pot has a drain hole? When ones plant double colander method? This is far from that...its roots are contained in the pot it came in. When watered...I just check the nursery pot...not the outer edge that is the larger pot. I honestly don't see that as a huge deal. If it is...please explain what I'm missing.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What did you use soil-wise to fill the new pot? Something more aggregate-based (Boon mix?). If so, you are now watering a container that has 2 different types of soil...a relatively quick-drying one that you see, and a potentially wetter one inside that you don't see. So you could wind up with a situation where the interior stays too wet.

Just be careful with it. I don't recall the original thread (do you have the link)?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I used wee brand which is also organic based. No...the top of the nursery pot is barely covered. It's not inches buried. But just a decorative covering over it. I raised the nursery pot up to the rim of the larger pot. So it wasn't buried...and I could check the moisture level to it. The other substrate is just filler to raise it to the rim of the pot. If there is half an inch on the one side if that of substrate outside the nursery pot. To fill dead space.

No I don't have the link off top my head, and quite frankly...it may have been advice from PM as well. I spoke to several via PM over this tree. Before I made purchase. Since I don't know maples. There are a few topics on it though...by my sharing it on other threads...and rabbit holes broke from it. So many links than my original...and rabbit hole threads. Then PM's as well. I'm not about to go chase down those who told me what steps to take this year. It's irrelevant since I followed the advice and am here now.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What?

OK, whatever. Be careful watering and repot next spring. Or perhaps sooner if the tree seems to be struggling. Good luck.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the tree looks fine.

Caddi...you still just have a knack for worry, and spreading it!

I like Vins Virt.

Mine has been creeping out for almost a month now, and one leaf is aaaaaaalmost open.

Fert da dirt! At least a little.

That is sooooooo....not an unhealthy tree.

Hell, mine was unhealthy all last year....
And it's bangin buds now.
Just gotta kill mites fore they get hold...or it's back to stallville.

No bloody worries!

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

I like Vins Virt.

Mine has been creeping out for almost a month now, and one leaf is aaaaaaalmost open.

No bloody worries!

Sorce

I first thought it odd which was why I didn't fertilize.

Now...it's not really about the tree. I just need to step away for a bit. Because not so nice Darlene doesn't wish to shock ones. :oops:

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, from your later description it doesn't sound as bad as I feared. Just wondering who advised planting the black nursery container inside another pot. I don't expect you to say, but...highly questionable advice no matter who it was from.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
D, as of a few minutes ago there are 8,827 opinions on this site. Who's right and who's not so right is always up for debate. The thing to remember is we're not standing in front of your tree evaluating it. There are many factors that form opinions and maybe we don't have all the information needed to help you. However, we all mean well.

With that, you said something in Post #26 that has me thinking the only thing wrong with your tree is it's a bit confused. If I read it correctly you received the tree last Fall in a dormant state. After you received it, you put it in your greenhouse and it leafed out. If that's true then your tree was not dormant long enough. I wanted an Amur down here until I found out our winters are not long enough to keep an Amur. I don't know what the dormancy period should be but I know it's longer than the way I read what you wrote in Post #26. Talk to me.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Vin Yes...it went into the the greenhouse. But seen Judy had trees in leaf before this one. It was an off winter for most. I honestly felt that was the reason for its weird display of budding. Since my cherry still is waking up yet some buds woke early.

It's the being told to not repot...then being told it should have been that had me thinking...dang is it my fault!?! And I only did what ones advised.

Your correct we have many opinions. I've gained much knowledge from ones here.

But...I can't wrap my brain around the tree came unhealthy to me. Not with Brent's reputation. But another who has much knowledge seems to feel otherwise. So I have mixed emotions...all around.

I still love this tree. It may just be the stronger budded first. It's still alive...so until otherwise I will just see it through.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Darlene that's why I said to be careful to jump into conclusions. Give your tree a chance to come out of its winter dormancy and see what it does.

It is critical that your soil drains well and tree does not stay too wet otherwise it will be done.

I agree with Chris that I am not sure of having it double potted and fail to understand the purpose.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

I like Vins Virt.

No bloody worries!

Sorce
Agreed I think your going to love them to death. You really need to just let this one grow theres nothing to style!

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would fertilize is as usual. If the tree needs the fertilizer it's there to help it grow. The soil Brent uses is not going to suffer from fertilizer burn unless you're purposely trying to overdose it. Not to pile on what everyone else is saying about the double potting, but I would have either left it as is or fully repotted it myself. Anyway, I've bought three trees from Brent now, all junipers, but no health issues yet. I'm guessing that it is adjusting to your climate, plus being in the greenhouse. I don't think you have anything to worry about, besides that weak branch.

Top Bottom