Not sure what to think of the Amur maple...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Agreed I think your going to love them to death. You really need to just let this one grow theres nothing to style!
Check out @grouper52 resource thread on baby bending. Intentions was to cut back hard and regrow with more movement. It wasn't styling what was there. Many redevelop trees. Will and many suggested just that direction. But...not happening this year.

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would fertilize is as usual. If the tree needs the fertilizer it's there to help it grow. The soil Brent uses is not going to suffer from fertilizer burn unless you're purposely trying to overdose it. Not to pile on what everyone else is saying about the double potting, but I would have either left it as is or fully repotted it myself. Anyway, I've bought three trees from Brent now, all junipers, but no health issues yet. I'm guessing that it is adjusting to your climate, plus being in the greenhouse. I don't think you have anything to worry about, besides that weak branch.

I may just wait until it all wakes up. My cherry is also budding out weird. So thinking it has to do with crazy winter. Yeah not so much worried about a branch. It's not make all be all. Was going to regrow branch structure anyways.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Most of my deciduous tree leafed earlier this year than last
Check out @grouper52 resource thread on baby bending. Intentions was to cut back hard and regrow with more movement. It wasn't styling what was there. Many redevelop trees. Will and many suggested just thathe direction. But...not happening this year.
I bet you will be fine with doing That but time will tell.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Most of my deciduous tree leafed earlier this year than last

I bet you will be fine with doing That but time will tell.

Oh...it won't be done this year. Not risking it. I may do nothing but repot next spring. And just monitor and become familiar with it. Allow it to grow and regain vigor. Wouldn't hurt doing that. Sure...it takes a few years off of development. But these are fast growers...and it won't set me back that much.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for your suggested advice on how to proceed...I've not even slip potted it. It's in the pot it arrived in. I just added bonsai substrate to this pot that does have a hole in the bottom. To hide the black plastic trimmed down nursery pot. The substrate around pot is fast draining...but would imagine it would not effect the roots or watering overly. Just a light skim coat of it over the surface of what was already in the pot. Thus...Pulling it out of this planter...and dumping out the substrate...sitting down gallon nursery pot in at an angle alightly trimming the nursery pot on the left side...and filling with substrate was all I did. Not touching anything of the soil what so ever,nor touching or messing with the roots...nor cutting anything on the tree. As I was advised to see how healthy it budded out. When it budded out weird...It concerned me. Not doing anything but offering horticultural care until it appears to bud out more evenly hopefully next spring.
Tree does not seem to be growing well to me. My experience with Amur Maple is they are rapid growing trees with beautiful, graceful foliage. They can take a beating and be fine, but n tree can survive rough conditions forever... And certain characteristics vary among different types of trees.

This is your issue IMO- you have a tree where over half the existing trunk is dead. A tree that does not tend to adapt well to dead wood, and is growing in a pot it is clearly not doing well in. Maples are not like Juniper where a run of deadwood will just be grown around and the live veins are completely separated from the hard, bleached old deadwood... A Maple has dead wood and it lets it rot, fall off then covers the scar over.. So, you are kind of working against the way this tree grows. A little deadwood here or there might not cause any issues... But THIS much... On a tree this small...? Let's just say it is fortunate to be alive at all.

I think what M5 is saying here and what I'd say too is- let's get this tree BOOMING with new growth before insulting it in any way! Do whatever is necessary to encourage LOTS AND LOTS OF GROWTH! Let's get this guy super vigorous and happy before a major rework is done/ before any style concerns are addressed. After all dead trees are really really hard to style!

If it was mine I'd drop it in the ground. Let it grow wild for a year or two... If it covers over some deadwood, great/ fine! Might make a better tree! The goal is to get it real healthy and real happy and showing a lot of healthy growth low on the trunk before any attempts to restyle, cut back or change angles... Once it shows you it is happy, take it out of the ground, and get on the roots and branches HARD! Maples like a good root work over from time to time when being kept in pots...movies them room to grow the roots and that leads to lots of top grow the and a Maple pushing lots of growth is a happy tree! Happy trees are vital to bonsai!

Good luck, hope it works out well!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
As others have said, you have too many cooks in the kitchen. Find a good teacher, make sure they have good trees; people can't teach you what they don't know. Then stick with their advice to avoid drama and conflicting views. Learn how to do a real repot. Whoever told you to stick the nursery can inside this pot and fill it with soil gave you bad advice.

This morning, I stumbled on this photo of your tree while still at Brent's. The left branch appears to have had no foliage then, and shows a dead spot right on the front. I suspect the branch is dead. If so, it happens. Get the rest of it growing strong and in a couple months you'll have more than enough growth to deal with.
image.jpeg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
As others have said, you have too many cooks in the kitchen. Find a good teacher, make sure they have good trees; people can't teach you what they don't know. Then stick with their advice to avoid drama and conflicting views. Learn how to do a real repot. Whoever told you to stick the nursery can inside this pot and fill it with soil gave you bad advice.

This morning, I stumbled on this photo of your tree while still at Brent's. The left branch appears to have had no foliage then, and shows a dead spot right on the front. I suspect the branch is dead. If so, it happens. Get the rest of it growing strong and in a couple months you'll have more than enough growth to deal with.
View attachment 99745

Thanks Brian...the dead spot is actually what I believe is lime sulfur. He mentioned on his site used on this tree. It looks like something was painted on the front, where the dead wood is...and some slopped onto the bark...and base of the branches.

But it could have been dead...or die back. I'm not going to lose sleep over it. The branch was not significant...and I can still develop it without it.

I live very rural...and bonsai class nearest me is two hours away held on a Thursday at 7pm. I look at their website ever so often. Just when I was thinking of maybe popping in to see what was offered. I now am a bit leery of the knowledge there. Last workshop the instructor was trying steal wire. Or mentioned he was...not sure why one would reinvent the wheel. But...it sort of had me pause. That they thought this rather worthy of mentioning on their website. That I sort of second guess going there now. So...yeah, I have a few I honestly trust I go to in my circle, just was curious if anyone seen their trees coming on this way this spring. The way it budded out.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had two trees "bud out strangely" last winter/spring. A sweetgum which lost all the secondary and tertiary branches. Fortunately it budded from the oldest parts of the branches and trunk. Still have no idea what happened, it looked good during the growing season and was kept in the same winter conditions as previous years. Also, a trident that lost almost the entire apex. Again...not sure why but it was weak throughout the entire growing season afterwards. Still debating about repotting it this year to check the roots, but it was repotted the previous year so I don't know.

Only thing I can think of is that the winter was longer and colder than most, so either they got too cold for too long at some point (hard to imagine because I use thermostatically controlled heaters) or perhaps the heat running so much dried the air out. But nothing else was affected.

Otherwise, not much is budding here this year so time will tell.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I had two trees "bud out strangely" last winter/spring. A sweetgum which lost all the secondary and tertiary branches. Fortunately it budded from the oldest parts of the branches and trunk. Still have no idea what happened, it looked good during the growing season and was kept in the same winter conditions as previous years. Also, a trident that lost almost the entire apex. Again...not sure why but it was weak throughout the entire growing season afterwards. Still debating about repotting it this year to check the roots, but it was repotted the previous year so I don't know.

Only thing I can think of is that the winter was longer and colder than most, so either they got too cold for too long at some point (hard to imagine because I use thermostatically controlled heaters) or perhaps the heat running so much dried the air out. But nothing else was affected.

Otherwise, not much is budding here this year so time will tell.
My peony tree and lilac are leafing out in landscape. Weeping cherry full of lush blooms. False spirea also to the right of the cherry in leaf.
image.jpg

Top Bottom