Not To Be Missed Podcast!

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
The latest podcast from Mirai is one of the most fascinating and informative conversations about bonsai I have had the pleasure of listening to. Chris Kirk and Gary Woods from Telperion Farms discuss techniques for developing material, and their techniques and reasoning behind them will totally change the way I approach the details of development. These fellas are at the top of their game and are so generous in sharing their experience and knowledge. I can’t recommend listening to this conversation enough. Thank you Chris and Gary!

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The latest podcast from Mirai is one of the most fascinating and informative conversations about bonsai I have had the pleasure of listening to. Chris Kirk and Gary Woods from Telperion Farms discuss techniques for developing material, and their techniques and reasoning behind them will totally change the way I approach the details of development. These fellas are at the top of their game and are so generous in sharing their experience and knowledge. I can’t recommend listening to this conversation enough. Thank you Chris and Gary!
I look forward to listening! I am new to listening to podcasts, but man I dig em!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Agree, that was a really interesting discussion. I was only half-listening (busy doing something else at the same time) so will have to give it another listen.

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
I look forward to listening! I am new to listening to podcasts, but man I dig em!
I’m new to podcasts as well. I spend about 2 hours a day commuting and can’t handle listening to the news any more so podcasts have saved my sanity! This one will get a second listen for sure!

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m new to podcasts as well. I spend about 2 hours a day commuting and can’t handle listening to the news any more so podcasts have saved my sanity! This one will get a second listen for sure!
That's exactly the same as my situation! My sister recommended podcasts, and then I realized there were so many good bonsai ones too!

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I tried to do podcasts a few years ago and couldn't find anything bonsai related. I'd love to hear this one, but how do i do it?.. is it on that stitcher app? lemme google it

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I tried to do podcasts a few years ago and couldn't find anything bonsai related. I'd love to hear this one, but how do i do it?.. is it on that stitcher app? lemme google it
Just google "bonsai mirai podcast" and there will be a bunch of links - I use stitcher.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Josh88 thanks for the heads up. I'm excited to listen to other episodes. I was happy to hear that I was actually using/doing some of the same methods telperion was by coincidence. makes me feel good, have been wondering lately if maybe this hobby didnt suit me.
did find it a little bit odd that ryan insisted on calling him gary woodS while chris kirk kept trying to tell him it was gary "wood". was kind of a weird dance the whole time haha

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Definitely jam packed with goodies, I loved hearing that they prune their maples in June usually, very interesting!

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I really like the podcast. Lots of good info. Some of the episodes head off in weird tangents but they usually circle back around again.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
That was a really good podcast, one I’ll listen to over and over again, even though Wood has been in my back yard and showed me some of the same techniques for managing growth through sugars, auxins, and cytokinins.
Great job Wood! That was excellent. Reminds me I need to get out there and strip some needles off a few pines..

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Something interesting from this podcast. Those of you who have been mirai members for a while may have noticed that Ryan has been claiming that auxin is produced in the roots and transported to the shoot tips. He's said this many times with great conviction (claiming that it was based on the latest research results). This goes against everything I've ever heard and I searched the internet for evidence to support his claim - but never found any. During one of the Q&As I brought that up and he was very adamant that he was right. During the podcast though he mentioned this and Wood told him he was wrong and Ryan kind of goes "hmmmph". It will be interesting to see if he changes his claim going forward.

I've been meaning to bring this up on the forum for a while but never got around to it. Maybe someone who keeps up with this stuff (@0soyoung maybe?) can comment...

elroy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Like most things, it's complicated. This reports that both transported and locally produced auxins are needed for function. I cannot, however, find any literature that supports the idea of mass transport of auxin from root to shoot.

https://news.ncsu.edu/2018/10/local-auxin-production-critical/

Elroy

Something interesting from this podcast. Those of you who have been mirai members for a while may have noticed that Ryan has been claiming that auxin is produced in the roots and transported to the shoot tips. He's said this many times with great conviction (claiming that it was based on the latest research results). This goes against everything I've ever heard and I searched the internet for evidence to support his claim - but never found any. During one of the Q&As I brought that up and he was very adamant that he was right. During the podcast though he mentioned this and Wood told him he was wrong and Ryan kind of goes "hmmmph". It will be interesting to see if he changes his claim going forward.

I've been meaning to bring this up on the forum for a while but never got around to it. Maybe someone who keeps up with this stuff (@0soyoung maybe?) can comment...

Top Bottom