Not Watering Ficus Salicaria After Doing Heavy Root Work

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
I've heard that it is good to not water these for a day or two after doing heavy root work since they are semi succulent in nature. How many people go by this? I've watered all mine regularly right after re potting and they are doing great but I was still very curious.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I water mine right away.

If you are afraid of the cut area rotting, let it dry a bit before you pot it.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
I've never heard of or tried that. I'm not saying that it won't work, but mine have always done fine with standard watering. I'm curious as to where you heard that advice.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don't do Tropicals but my Wife has for 19 years or so now. Hers get water day in and out no matter what. The only time I ever seen her cut back a bit was when she was dealing with a specific plant issue. I do the same with non tropicals. If there is something wrong back off and fix it but slow up on water and fertilizer until it is resolved.

Grimmy

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
I've never heard of or tried that. I'm not saying that it won't work, but mine have always done fine with standard watering. I'm curious as to where you heard that advice.

I've heard it other places but this is the only article mentioning it that I had bookmarked.

"Since all the top was removed, all the bottom can safely be removed. The secret now is to just toss it out on the table on a hot & humid day and keep it away from water. Do not pot it for 24 hours. I want all the cuts to dry out, to skin over or callus, which ever word you like best. This is very important. No cut paste is used. This is due to the punky wood of the fig, unlike the hard wood of a maple or oak. I would have cut more off the bottom, but because of the way the base of the trunk was, I cut up as far as I could, and that’s one inch below its old soil line."

http://www.bonsaihunk.us/ficusforum/FicusTechniques/FigTechnique71.html

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I water after working on it but then ease up a bit after that for a few weeks. Then I just treat it normal again.

larlamonde

Shohin
Reaction score
Good move Kaya. My only regret is that I did not start sooner. Think about starting some long term projects kid.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
I dont water figs for a day after transplant, to prevent rot. Jerry does the same.

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I water immediately. And continue watering as I would any other tree. If the soil is drying, I water. If the cuts are facing downward and the cut areas are not sitting in the water that accumulates at the bottom of the pot, you shouldn't have to worry about rot. You can tilt the pot to eliminate most water at the bottom held by surface tension. As always..it depends on climate and soil characteristics.

I also begin fertilizing shortly afterwards.( a week or two)

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with extra water accumulating in the pot though. It's more a way of treating these trees as succulents sort of like how you wouldn't water after doing major rootwork on a portulacaria until you start to see new growth.

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It has everything to do with the cut ends staying too wet. If you place the tree in a shallow pot, there is space at the bottom that holds more water. You don't want the cut ends sitting there. If you use a very heavy(as in moisture retentive) soil, you will want to water less. The cut roots are not going to callous over until they begin to sprout new roots. That takes moisture.

I water mine immediately. It helps the soil particles to settle in and gives the roots moisture to begin growing. I believe that I have read that Jim Smith recommends not watering for a day.

If you're concerned about getting the pruned roots wet, don't plant the tree for a few days. I have some with little to no soil sitting on the ground for 2 years and they are alive and growing.

Both of these were watered immediately after heavy root work and pruning.

Attachments

• DSC_0007 copy.jpg
    DSC_0007 copy.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC_0013 copy.jpg
    DSC_0013 copy.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As posted on post #2. If you have concerns, let it dry for a few hours or a day and the cut area would have been "compartmentalized". Threat of rot will be highly reduced by then.

I agree with agraham...it really depends on your locale & soil. I do it exactly as he does and never had a problem. You should see his cutting ficus too. ;)

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
I never had concerns or worries about my trees rotting, It was just curiosity to see if other people practice this.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Maybe that would be an issue with potting soil/dirt, but I imagine that bonsai soil would give decent oxygenation to the area that was cut. I dunno why that cut root would be thought of any differently than say an air layer cut that's packed with sphagnum moss or bonsai soil.

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If you are watering properly, you plant should never be so wet that your roots rot; regardless of freshly repotted or established root systems. That being said; I've always watered trees into their pots, generally I submerged the entire pot for 10 minutes.

What this person doesn't realize is, that pruning ficus when they are wet invites fungus into the trees, and ficus are totally susceptible to fungal rot. If you were to allow your ficus roots to seal over night (the sap is latex) you aren't preventing the roots from rot induced from over watering; you're preventing the chance of fungus entering the roots. I don't worry about this at all though as the chances of the tree drying out too much and dying are greater than coming down with fungal rot.

@KennedyMarx; remember that spaghnum moss is also a natural antiseptic and is chock full of root hormones. Never heard of anyone doing an air layer with bonsai soil though; not saying its not possible or never been done before.

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Never heard of anyone doing an air layer with bonsai soil though; not saying its not possible or never been done before.

I do and all are successful too. ;) I do add some chopped sphagnum moss (up to 10%) on some but not always (I am lazy sometimes). :D

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I do and all are successful too. ;) I do add some chopped sphagnum moss (up to 10%) on some but not always (I am lazy sometimes). :D

I've heard of people using organic soil, but never inorganic substrates. I know on ancient Oak's when a branch is too heavy and the weight lowers it onto the ground, the touching part ground layers. Junipers do the same thing. Essentially, its the same idea as doing an air layer with dirt. I just haven't heard someone use bonsai mix for it before.

Top Bottom