Nother tree/weed ID

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This place is about to clear out some land and I saw a couple of these. Are they worth the effort and most likely failure this late in the collection window?
ID1.jpg ID2.jpg

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Agreed. The barks are pretty nice for something kinda young. The trunk on this one is about 2.5". Looks to have a ok flare on the nebari. But there are a couple of them, along with poison ivy and poison oaks too lol.

I'm thinking this is a Viburnum?

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Amur Honeysuckle (or another closely related bush honeysuckle like Morrow's honeysuckle). they are invasive, but very hardy and tough. I am 100% sure that if you dug them up now, you could get them to survive. I collected one in early November and put it in a pot. It immediately threw out shoots and kept them through winter, starting growth again in spring. They produce interesting bark and are vigorous growers to the point that you will find yourself doing cutbacks and defoliations twice in the growing season.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Amur Honeysuckle (or another closely related bush honeysuckle like Morrow's honeysuckle). they are invasive, but very hardy and tough. I am 100% sure that if you dug them up now, you could get them to survive. I collected one in early November and put it in a pot. It immediately threw out shoots and kept them through winter, starting growth again in spring. They produce interesting bark and are vigorous growers to the point that you will find yourself doing cutbacks and defoliations twice in the growing season.
Sweet! I've been wanting a Honeysuckle purely for the flowers and this is my opportunity!:D

Now that you ID'd it, I remember seeing the flowers but never traced back to the trunk since there was so much vegetation. Now that the place is partially cut back, I see a couple that are already chopped and sprouted new growth including this one.

Thanks @Melospiza !

Top Bottom