USDA Zone
8b
Hi there today found this tree in The bargain corner of a garden center
a nothofagus antartica

didnt know this species but still i bought it for Only 15 euro

base of the trunk is 2 inch in diameter and has some movement and taper

tree is about 100 inch tall for now lol

dont really know what to do with it yet
i probably best to wait with pruning back hard untill leaves have fallen?

sugestions and experiences with this species are much apriciated! Screenshot_2016-09-28-18-46-06.pngScreenshot_2016-09-28-18-45-28.pngScreenshot_2016-09-28-18-45-19.pngScreenshot_2016-09-28-18-45-37.png

fh05

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't have any personal experience but read an article in an old International bonsai magazine about them. These are one of the smallest leaved Beech. It should be treated just like other beech trees. Very good for smaller size bonsai. Very good find, looks like it has low buds and bark turning lighter too.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just did some research they seem to Bee different then other fagus (beech? )
seem to Bee a spiecie on its own
wondering of caretaking is same tough

i wonder since i think im going to cut it down in winter at about 10 inch from the soil level How does it heal up bigger wounds?? :)

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Ñirre!! Awesome!!! I did not know these grew outside of Chile and Argentina.
Any idea if it grew in your climate or not before being sold?
Watch out that these are not beeches per se... the species is nothofagus that translates to false fagus or false beech.

I have a nothofagus dombeyi or so called Coigüe. And it isn't doing too well because of the lack of high humidity in the air.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
i really like it, for sure needs to be chopped to get rid of that thick spot half way up but those leaves are a selling point for me! im also very interested in how well they would heal a heavy cut

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@defra
It ought to make into outstanding bonsai.
It appears to be easy to find in the UK, but rare here in the U.S. I've often wondered why @barrosinc hasn't been showing us his instead of coveting the standard northern hemisphere species - Santiago is is bit warm compared to it's Patagonia-like natural habitat?

At any rate, chop that guy down and root cuttings or air layer it to get there. In addition to the small leaves, the dark bark is very striking (isn't it?). I cannot get anything even close to the size tree you have. I have a cutting of a prostrate variety - I'm thinking mame/shohin because the leaves are so small (now I just need at least 10 years :( - you might be there in 5, you lucky dog :p).

Next spring you can experiment with a few branches to determine some important response characteristics. Recall that branches are largely independent. After the spring foliage has hardened (circa May)
  • decapitate a branch (prune the end away)
    • most species will respond by releasing the most distal buds --> new shoots
  • defoliate and keep the most distal leaves (i.e., don't cut the terminal)
    • many, but not all, species will just make more leaves
    • some, such as boxwood and satsuki azaleas will produce new shoots
  • defoliate and decapitate
  • cut back below the last visible bud
    • this may be silly strongly nodal trees like acer palmatum if there is no node left on the branch (this is intended to see how strongly it will respond to 'chopping', but there must be a node left quite likely has no visible buds).
If you choose to air layer it, these experiments could be carried out on a few branches at the top without adverse effects. So in one season, you would become an expert as well as have a start on the bonsai of the low trunk and a layered specimen, to boot.

Last edited:

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
thnx @barrosinc il check it out
its bought at a local garden center frost hardy until -15 celcius according to the card also its grown here in Holland i found a nursery online wich grows them!

so hunidity in Holland is good enough i Guess

@Handsome John there is Only one way to find out lol and the thick spot is a branch growing up Next to the trunk hard to see in The picture tough

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@0soyoung
sounds like a plan

Only it needs to get repotted too in early spring Before the leaves emerge cus the roots already grow out of the pot already now

so the plan :
repot
wait for the leaves
airlayer above the trunk wich Will become bonsai
in The meanwhile test with some pruning in The top and on a branch below the airlayer
become a nothofagus expert
create a Cool bonsai in 5 years

makes me wanna go back to the store again because they have another similair one :p

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I found another same sized one and got some info from some one Who also has one for a couple of years now

he told me i could Just chop it down to desired height because it Will respond with allot of New buds and since i know where to find them i wont need to airlayer it lol

only wondering when the best time would be to chop it down end of winter?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I found another same sized one and got some info from some one Who also has one for a couple of years now

he told me i could Just chop it down to desired height because it Will respond with allot of New buds and since i know where to find them i wont need to airlayer it lol

only wondering when the best time would be to chop it down end of winter?
Yes.

:( - very envious, I am.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Have you done anything to the tree?
Post some new pics

no not yet before i did anything i wanted the leaves to drop so the energy would return to the roots

im going to chop it down in februari or march allong with a repot to some good soil

when thats done ill post some pis!

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hmmm this one was potted on 26 februari 2017 but no signs of new buds yet :(

Still green under the bark when i scratch my nail over it hope it will show some growth soon tough

Lesson learned next time when i repot a tree ill try work the roots in steps this might been to much ?

Top Bottom