Nova bonsai garden

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks - mosquitos there haven’t been nearly as bad as they are living in the middle of the swamp here in Houston. Deer ticks, however, are a new challenge for me and something I’ve not dealt with before. We’re still trying to figure out our strategy with them - they’re damn hard to see.

- S
Ticks suck

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks - mosquitos there haven’t been nearly as bad as they are living in the middle of the swamp here in Houston. Deer ticks, however, are a new challenge for me and something I’ve not dealt with before. We’re still trying to figure out our strategy with them - they’re damn hard to see.

- S
Keep a flock of Ginny Hens. They love ticks!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Va.! I've been a Virginian for almost five decades. I grew up out in the Shenandoah Valley. You're in a beautiful place out there.

Several bonsai events coming up in the late winter/spring.

The Potomac Bonsai Association's Show and Sale is coming up May 6-May 8 at the National Arboretum in D.C. Always a decent event. Some good vendors and local club exhibits.

Also the Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden in Richmond is hosting a bonsai exhibit by Gardens Unlimited all during January.

Bob Chilton and Todd Stewart who run Gardens Unlimited are behind the exhibit. I've known them for twenty years. They have excellent winter storage facilities for bonsai. I board my live oak with them every winter. I'll be making a run in early April to their nursery to pick up my oak. PM me if you want to come along for the ride. They have some of the best bonsai in Va. Their place is between Richmond and Fredericksburg.

They run a Japanese Garden landscaping company and have designed gardens for the U.S. Capitol greenhouse and Mary Washington University. They also have Koi ponds. They work all over the state, including the Valley.

Also, you probably will want to visit Julian Adams' bonsai place down in Lynchburg at some point. Julian has been a regular vendor at the PBA Sale.

A visit to Nature's Way bonsai up in Harrisburg, PA is also a must. It's a drive, but worth the trip.
Ginter event is all during FEBRUARY...got my dates mixed up

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keep a flock of Ginny Hens. They love ticks!
This is true and it is a good strategy. But you need to get them young and imprint them to your surrounds or else they will wander off and become fox food. Actually they are also coyote, bobcat, eagle, hawk, and owl food as well. All of these critters live here. Also, because they nest on the ground, they are also prey for raccoons, possums, weasels and rats. And then there are wild dogs and feral cats.
Guinea Hens are great but you better plan on raising quite a few. BTW, they can be quite noisy and will frequently sound the alarm when anyone shows up, people included.
And then there is the deer. Better plan on having a dog.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really? I always heard east coast is the worst on the humidity front.
Houston is #1 as far as I know. It was built upon drained swamps. You can't have a basement in much of Houston. My sister has lived there for about 35 years and she hates it. She was planning to come back to VA but now there are grandchildren so she spends all her time inside.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is true and it is a good strategy. But you need to get them young and imprint them to your surrounds or else they will wander off and become fox food. Actually they are also coyote, bobcat, eagle, hawk, and owl food as well. All of these critters live here. Also, because they nest on the ground, they are also prey for raccoons, possums, weasels and rats. And then there are wild dogs and feral cats.
Guinea Hens are great but you better plan on raising quite a few. BTW, they can be quite noisy and will frequently sound the alarm when anyone shows up, people included.
And then there is the deer. Better plan on having a dog.
Thing about deer ticks is the nymph stage is tiny smaller than a grain of salt. Guinea hens eat mature ticks. Deer tick nymphs bite repeatedly. I'm allergic to their bite. I have had to get treated for Lyme more than once because I got the little bastards collecting trees in the deer-infested woods behind my house. For a Texas equivalent, chiggers are about as close as you can get, but the ticks are itchier...

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thing about deer ticks is the nymph stage is tiny smaller than a grain of salt. Guinea hens eat mature ticks. Deer tick nymphs bite repeatedly. I'm allergic to their bite. I have had to get treated for Lyme more than once because I got the little bastards collecting trees in the deer-infested woods behind my house. For a Texas equivalent, chiggers are about as close as you can get, but the ticks are itchier...
I have been treated for Lyme 3 times now, last time this summer. Also, the chiggers can be vicious. I think I am allergic to most bug bites but ticks are the worst. Even regular ticks. One day about 10 or 12 years back, I was limbing up a big cedar tree. When I came in and took off my shirt for showering, I had deer 43 ticks on me. I wouldn't have believed it but my wife used a piece of duct tape to pull most of them off as they had not attached yet. Twice over the years I have been bit by a deer tick in the belly button. First time was serious, requiring blood tests, antibiotics, and 6 months of the area healing.
The people I know who have Guineas have down well by them. The tick population density is significantly less.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Congratulations on the new property.
Welcome to the east coast!

Get ready for the humidity.
Lol. I’m mostly worried that the fine patina of mold and mildew I’ve developed over the years will flake off on account of how dry it is there!

Scott

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Lol. I’m mostly worried that the fine patina of mold and mildew I’ve developed over the years will flake off on account of how dry it is there!

Scott
All the know is, Baltimore city in the middle of summer, 100f+ and the air is so thick and soupy, it's just gross....

.....on second thought, maybe it was all the crack smoke in the air....hmm...?

Who knows, it's an ancient Chinese riddle....humidity vs crack smoke.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All the know is, Baltimore city in the middle of summer, 100f+ and the air is so thick and soupy, it's just gross....

.....on second thought, maybe it was all the crack smoke in the air....hmm...?

Who knows, it's an ancient Chinese riddle....humidity vs crack smoke.
Bwahahahahahahaaaaaa....Spend a summer on the Gulf Coast --Louisiana or East Texas and B'more summers will seem springlike.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Bwahahahahahahaaaaaa....Spend a summer on the Gulf Coast --Louisiana or East Texas and B'more summers will seem springlike.
I will take your word for it.
Haha, hopefully I'll never have to move again...I hate moving.
....but MD is a volatile place....and I can forsee a day when I'll basically be forced to leave, under my own personal constitution. But I'm optimistic for now.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
ticks, however, are a new challenge for me and something I’ve not dealt with before.
That was the reason for my comment. 100% DEET is one of the few good defenses. I don’t know if REI still sells it, but it should be available somewhere. I still have part of a bottle that I bought there years ago. We don’t have much call for it around here. I think habitual use if you’re going to be in thick grass, or walking in the woods would be a good idea. Lyme disease is not something to trifle with.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have been treated for Lyme 3 times now, last time this summer. Also, the chiggers can be vicious. I think I am allergic to most bug bites but ticks are the worst. Even regular ticks. One day about 10 or 12 years back, I was limbing up a big cedar tree. When I came in and took off my shirt for showering, I had deer 43 ticks on me. I wouldn't have believed it but my wife used a piece of duct tape to pull most of them off as they had not attached yet. Twice over the years I have been bit by a deer tick in the belly button. First time was serious, requiring blood tests, antibiotics, and 6 months of the area healing.
The people I know who have Guineas have down well by them. The tick population density is significantly less.
Peacocks are good for keeping the snakes away, too.

Heck, if @MarkyScott’s place has gone to the birds, he might as well have a flock of hens, too! Nothing like gathering a few eggs in the morning for breakfast!

Zerobear

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
So the deal is done and I’m relocating from Houston to Virginia. It’s a beautiful piece of property about halfway between Front Royal and Warrenton. Best of all - I’ve claimed a pasture for my garden! It’s going to be a journey - I’ve got a well to drill, a greenhouse and a cold frame to put up, a barn to build and a bunch of trees to relocate. So I’m making a little thread to document my journey. It’s exciting for me and I thought that perhaps there is interest in following the construction of a garden from a pasture. So I’ll record all my trials and tribulations here.

Here’s a picture of the pasture when I flew my drone over it back in the summer. The elevation is about 660’. There’s a small stream that runs through the woods bordering the property to the NW. The pasture consists of rolling hills - it’s been in hay and cattle primarily for many years.

View attachment 413698

Nice opportunity. I want this to sound as sincere as possible because I really am serious.

The world needs more commercial bonsai operations. The only way to get there is to start and work, work, work to make my dream become your reality.

Top Bottom