Nova bonsai garden

CarolinaBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
So the deal is done and I’m relocating from Houston to Virginia. It’s a beautiful piece of property about halfway between Front Royal and Warrenton. Best of all - I’ve claimed a pasture for my garden! It’s going to be a journey - I’ve got a well to drill, a greenhouse and a cold frame to put up, a barn to build and a bunch of trees to relocate. So I’m making a little thread to document my journey. It’s exciting for me and I thought that perhaps there is interest in following the construction of a garden from a pasture. So I’ll record all my trials and tribulations here.

Here’s a picture of the pasture when I flew my drone over it back in the summer. The elevation is about 660’. There’s a small stream that runs through the woods bordering the property to the NW. The pasture consists of rolling hills - it’s been in hay and cattle primarily for many years.

View attachment 413698
Virginia so beautiful! Looking forward to future posts. Congratulations!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Lots of progress on the rainwater system today.
  1. Tank went in the ground 7B1AA0AF-2DB4-4458-8ABE-6332FEA19F6A.jpegE9F2EED5-A8E6-4AAF-81E2-51E2B53CAFEA.jpeg
  2. Using 4” pipe, the system was plumbed into the gutter downspouts.D56E0AD2-BEE1-422C-B81E-0CB89CD925BD.jpeg
  3. The pressure tank and filtration system was installed. I’ll insulate this area under the stairs and keep a small propane space heater in there to keep the temps above freezing.8AE88B7F-3A36-4C3F-A119-601C97E464CD.jpeg
Tomorrow, we’ll drop the pump in the tank and run the lines to the hydrants in the yard. After that, we’ll just have to wait on the next rain!

- S

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Lots of progress on the rainwater system today.
  1. Tank went in the ground View attachment 451871View attachment 451874
  2. Using 4” pipe, the system was plumbed into the gutter downspouts.View attachment 451872
  3. The pressure tank and filtration system was installed. I’ll insulate this area under the stairs and keep a small propane space heater in there to keep the temps above freezing.View attachment 451873
Tomorrow, we’ll drop the pump in the tank and run the lines to the hydrants in the yard. After that, we’ll just have to wait on the next rain!

- S
What are you doing to exclude debris from the system? Will you ever need to get silt pumped out of the cistern?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
What are you doing to exclude debris from the system? Will you ever need to get silt pumped out of the cistern?
I took several precautions. First - the roof is metal, not composition. So it won’t shed debris like an asphalt roof will be. Second, the building is out in the open with no overhanging trees. Third - all of the water from the downspouts is run through a vortex filter before it gets to the tank. That filter needs to be cleaned regularly. Finally, the pump inlet is connected to a float so it always draws water from the top of the tank.

I considered putting in a first flush system as well, but was assured that it wasn’t necessary. In my case, they didn’t think it will need to be cleaned often, but I’ll get the rundown on system maintenance later today after the finish up and let you know.

- S

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Third - all of the water from the downspouts is run through a vortex filter before it gets to the tank.
Very smart. I seen a few coastal cities using this type of filters to clean up debris from storm water drains. Which one are you using? The one I was considering one similar to the one in this link. But for what I need it is overkill, so I am just going to go with a downspout filter.

Carkybones

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@markyscott i can't remember if I asked this before but do you have a heater for the tank or are you burying it below the frost line?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Very smart. I seen a few coastal cities using this type of filters to clean up debris from storm water drains. Which one are you using? The one I was considering one similar to the one in this link. But for what I need it is overkill, so I am just going to go with a downspout filter.
Here’s the model I went with.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
@markyscott i can't remember if I asked this before but do you have a heater for the tank or are you burying it below the frost line?
Hi. The access ports are at the surface, but most of the tank is well below the frost line. I won’t have to worry about it freezing.

S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Looks like you’re all set for cattle. Any concerns about deer? I don’t think that fence will do it.
This fence is meant to keep out cattle. Actually - I’ll probably run a strand of electric also.

I am concerned about deer. We‘ll see if they bother the trees there - I don’t have anything behind deer fence now and haven’t had trouble yet. If it turns out to be the case, I’ll have to come up with a plan.

- S

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
This fence is meant to keep out cattle. Actually - I’ll probably run a strand of electric also.

I am concerned about deer. We‘ll see if they bother the trees there - I don’t have anything behind deer fence now and haven’t had trouble yet. If it turns out to be the case, I’ll have to come up with a plan.

- S
My personal experience with electric fences are that they are easier and cheaper to install. But the maintenance is much higher than a permanent deer fence. Effective over 90% of the time, but it’s that other 10% you remember. The deer constantly test the fence. Winds, snow, ice, etc cause breakage and shorts. I had one doe that learned to go between the strands in spite of the voltage and taught her fawns as well. Usually resulted in a broken wire which then let others through. One trick I learned was to smear a little peanut butter on a hot wire. That trained a lot (but not all) to avoid the wires. Since then I have always put up a permanent 7’ deer fence and never had a problem.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have always put up a permanent 7’ deer fenc
This is your best option, but good luck finding game fencing, especially if you're on a budget.
Before the divorce, I built a game fence like that for my ex around the garden, and it was a half acre plot. Between the fencing - which involved a 6 hour day trip to pick up - and the posts - bolstered 10'x8" wood posts at the corners, and 10' t-posts between, all hunted down from different sources - and a stock gate to match the height, it was a little over $3k, and that's without paying for labor and machinery in a rural area that does allot of this stuff. Hiring out would be a one day $10k job here, at least, and the cost doesn't scale down much from that project, though it CERTAINLY scales up readily.

Thomas Mitchell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here’s the model I went with.

I have the same filter in my rainwater catchment system. It works great. I bought a spare insert and I just swap them out every month and run the spare through the dishwasher. My barn is in a hole in the middle of the rainforest so screening fir needles is s a big deal. Your place will be much easier out in the open.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

- S
You hunt? shoot em, eat em...Bow season starts Oct. 1...

Last edited:

mike3m

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You hunt? shoot em, eat em...Bow season starts Oct. 1...
FYI, this year Fauquier Co is included in the early firearms season on private lands for antlerless deer, Sept 3-30. Not encouraging/discouraging the practice, just a heads up to new arrivals

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Fence is nearly complete, field is covered with blue mistflower, high tunnel arrived, a break to hike Mary’s Rock with my daughter (who dragged me up the mountain agin), and the water tank is full after a solid rain over the past couple of days.

97CDCC7A-D897-4D1B-ABF2-EE508489D7D1.jpeg0E289532-1546-487C-934B-B30B2D0D853F.jpeg19611A61-3BF3-4D81-A6CE-22B33FFBB5D0.jpegF2EC7A61-74E3-4CB1-A451-0A7486FD4F21.jpeg

Top Bottom