Novice Juniper Collection

Dystopics

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So, i've been practicing "bonsai" for about a year now, and i've collected a bunch of small trees. Unfortunately, I've got a small budget, so most of what I get are $15 or less from the big box store, or small 1 or 2 year old seedlings/cuttings. As far as my deciduous trees go, they're gonna be spending a couple years just growing, but what I want to record here is the progress of my junipers as I learn and develop them.

1: Juniperus Procumbens 'Nana'
image0.jpg
image1.jpg

I picked this up a few months ago, and have done very little beyond cleaning out some dead interior growth. I think its got some real interesting movement at the base.

2: Juniperus Chinensis 'Shimpaku'

image2.jpg
image3.jpg

Probably the nicest juniper I have right now, purchased from Stillwater in april, I repotted it into a 6-1/2 inch pot with a commercial bonsai soil my local nursery sells. its just about 7 inches from soil to highest point. I love how green and lush it is, but I'm unsure of how to proceed with it.

3: Juniper.... something
image4.jpg

This is my first juniper. I have no idea what species it was, and it obviously got handled a bit roughly in its first year. It definitely has bounced back, and has a lot of new green growth on it. I've probably put more work into this tree than any other I have, and have a general idea for where I want it to go. I want to develop a sense of tension, with the trunk moving left, and the apex and defining branch moving right. Struggling to figure out how to handle the rapidly elongating foliage, or make pads that would fit this scale with foliage so long.

And thats it. These three junipers I intend to keep and document my successes and failures for the next few years.

Any advice, for care or maintenance, or ideas for designs are welcome!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If you want to creat bonsai with good proportions your trunk must have a good size relation to the top of the tree. In essence the height of the tree should be about three times the diameter of the trunk. If you are hopint that the trunk will get fatter and achieve that proportion you are going to be waiting a very long time. I don't mean to be discouraging you but it is better to know the truth than be pushing wood for the next ten years before you finally figure it out that this tree is not going to develop the way you hope. Bonsai is a game of proportions where size is only significant in reltaions to the rest of the tree. A veru tall and skinny tree will only become a good bonsai when its height is in a three to one relationship with the diameter of the trunk. A tall tree may all of a sudden decome a nice bonsai if the top is reduced down to this proportion.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In line with what Vance is saying. These pants can become nice trees over LOTS of time. Nothing wrong with working with them and gaining experience either.
If you trim that shimpaku, it is well worth taking cuttings, and growing them out. To then sell / trade / grow out / use for grafting.

An alternative to buying trees, is investing in a good spade, branch loppers and a saw. Then hit the advertisements of people needing shrubs trmoved from their yards.

Top Bottom