Now it's that time of the year, folks!

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Yeah, from now on, to the next two months, there will be plenty of newbies that got a banzai as a Xmas gift.
My suggestion is to not discourage those who show interest in the hobby, treat them kindly, without sarcastic or ironic comments, and be prepared to answer the same questions for a while.
1-) Your little tree is a .... (juniper/elm/carmona/ginseng ficus) ... and it will die if kept indoors all year.
2-) Your bonsai seeds kit will not produce instant miniature trees; in fact some of them, like Flamboyant, will never be a good bonsai.
3-) No, it's not a good idea doing a repot, pruning roots, defoliating and wiring the saplings you've got, all at once, in wintertime. Please just keep them alive, it's hard enough.

I hope some of them will keep the interest going and become bonsai nuts in the near future!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So.. I got this 40 y.o. Zelkova Nire bonsai. What should I do with it? I have now placed it on theshelves over the fireplace so we can look at it in the evening. But the leaves are a little dull now. This is how I got it

Attachments

• 20180622_up01_1.jpg
    20180622_up01_1.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 84

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
So.. I got this 40 y.o. Zelkova Nire bonsai. What should I do with it? I have now placed it on theshelves over the fireplace so we can look at it in the evening. But the leaves are a little dull now. This is how I got it
The best feature of your Serrata tree is the t bar branches at the top. They make the silhouette of the tree look like an angel flying up to heaven, a very spiritual old tree. Congrats, grasshopper!

Last edited:

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yeah, from now on, to the next two months, there will be plenty of newbies that got a banzai as a Xmas gift.
My suggestion is to not discourage those who show interest in the hobby, treat them kindly, without sarcastic or ironic comments, and be prepared to answer the same questions for a while.
1-) Your little tree is a .... (juniper/elm/carmona/ginseng ficus) ... and it will die if kept indoors all year.
2-) Your bonsai seeds kit will not produce instant miniature trees; in fact some of them, like Flamboyant, will never be a good bonsai.
3-) No, it's not a good idea doing a repot, pruning roots, defoliating and wiring the saplings you've got, all at once, in wintertime. Please just keep them alive, it's hard enough.

I hope some of them will keep the interest going and become bonsai nuts in the near future!
Amen, because ive looked back at my first few posts and damn, they were cringy! And repeats of other threads. Glad others remained patient lol

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
pretty sure that is a zelkova edwina, i bought the exact same tree and it was labeled too😉
mine is 50 years old, should i repot now😂

Top Bottom