Now lemme get this straight about shoots on JBP and Scots.

Mudroot

Shohin
Reaction score
BEFORE I GO AND DO IT!!

The JBP shoots should be clipped back to the first viable candle baby needles right about NOW!

The Scots should grow the shoots til July or August and then be cut OFF.

Is this right?

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It depends on what you are trying to do! You want it to grow a thicker trunk? None of the above! Only start candle pruning and stuff once you have the trunk you need and are ready to develop ramification and smaller needles. Until that point just prune for shape and branch selection, maybe do some wiring... That is the trouble with all this "great info" about bonsai training being so readily available on the internet! A majority of it is geared towards finished trees but most of us have trees that need development not FINISHING.

If you do have a big ole honking trunk that is ready for refinement, go ahead and candle prune, but I think you wait later even for JBP... That too seems to depend though on whether you are planning to just reduce the growth some- pinch the candles around now... Or if you are trying to completely decandle the tree which is done in the summer normally I believe.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
As Eric mentioned, there is lots of info on this out there, but when one candle prunes black pine the candles are removed entirely. Watch this video to see the technique.

And generally, it's done later than early April. A good rule of thumb is more than 100 days before the first frost in fall. Here in Houston we generally get our first frost in late November. So we can decandle as late as mid August. Exact timing depends on your goals and your climate. Read more about it at Bonsai Tonight:

http://bonsaitonight.com/tag/black-pine/

But as Eric also previously mentioned, this is a refinement technique, not one performed on trees in development.

Scott

Mudroot

Shohin
Reaction score
Trunk on Scots is ..honking...enough. It's the one in the avatar. Looking more to backbud it and get the new needles closer to the trunk.

Don't have a pic of the JBP. I should take one but it was a "mistake" tree and I finally just pulled off bark, bent branches, twisted everything and repotted at an angle hoping to SOMEWHAT improve what was really an ugly tree.

JBP is backbudding after my torture.

Top Bottom