Now what? Next steps please!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Norway Spruce sowed on 12/31/2021.

The New Years babies seem to be coming in nicely, but this is where I started to go downhill last time with some root rot. I think I have a good handle on watering appropriately. Let me know if you think otherwise.

My question is, what do I do next?
Too soon to separate the twins? Do I start giving them some outdoor time during the day while I’m at work (7 - 4:30 ish)? Leave them be for a while? If it is time to repot, I am in need of instruction. Links to useful resources/videos will be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
-Mrs. O

Attachments

• 82BC3A95-0247-4AE0-850A-B7ABE5FC7E80.jpeg
    82BC3A95-0247-4AE0-850A-B7ABE5FC7E80.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 59860F76-24C6-4127-A36B-58436A52E069.jpeg
    59860F76-24C6-4127-A36B-58436A52E069.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 20

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
My guess is that the 'root rot' you experienced was actually something called 'damping off' Just another fungal disease but slightly different causes and prevention.
Damping off affects seedlings at around this stage. Sunlight is a great antibiotic and protects seedlings from damping off. Fresh air also deters it so raising seedlings outside is far safer than indoors. I would recommend some outdoor time each day. Just be wary of strong sun as these have now adjusted to no sun and will get sunburnt if they spend too long in strong sun. They will adjust if given gradual exposure.
That development stage is ideal for transplant which we call 'pricking out'. Seedlings can tolerate root pruning so transplant at this stage is very safe. Getting the new roots into an open, good draining soil mix will also help protect the babies from root rot and damping off.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don’t know squat about Norway spruce but it seems to me that placing these seedlings outdoors in Boston freezing temps would not serve them well.

if These were mine I would probably transplant them into their own four inch pots in free draining soil pruning nothing. I’d have them on a heating pad and under grow lights until it was warm enough for them to be placed outside For the remainder of this season.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I don’t know squat about Norway spruce but it seems to me that placing these seedlings outdoors in Boston freezing temps would not serve them well.
They are from Europe, where winter temperatures can get as low as in Canada.

I speak from experience when I say that germinating conifers indoors is quite a challenge. Seedlings of this stage can either handle the cold or they can't and there's just one way to find out. But keeping them indoors at low light levels is about as risky as putting them outdoors.

Top Bottom