Now what... not sure what to do

markspy9

Seed
Reaction score
So I recently bought a fukien tea from a local nursery on a whim thinking it looked cool. Little did I know what I was getting into... Looks like I have a new hobby! Anyway, I have no idea what I should do at this point. I brought it home around a week ago and it has sprung a few flowers that seem to have wilted a little as new ones are opening up. Do you guys recommend repotting from the plastic pot I got it in, letting it grow out and repotting at a later time? When I do repot it, would you recommend a shallow bonsai pot or a larger pot like the one it is currently just sitting in? I haven't done anything yet as I've learned from other threads in here that Fukien teas can be super finnicky and can get stressed out and die easily so its just been hanging out. Any help with steps forward would be appreciated! By the way I live in North carolina. Thanks!
IMG_0762.jpegIMG_0763.jpgIMG_0764.jpg

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
First thought, way too tall. Hard to see where best to reduce, here’s an idea:
28242659-91E3-42DE-9194-F7EDC11E5960.jpeg

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
...also, if you choose to repot, don’t bare root.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
So I recently bought a fukien tea from a local nursery on a whim thinking it looked cool. Little did I know what I was getting into... Looks like I have a new hobby! Anyway, I have no idea what I should do at this point. I brought it home around a week ago and it has sprung a few flowers that seem to have wilted a little as new ones are opening up. Do you guys recommend repotting from the plastic pot I got it in, letting it grow out and repotting at a later time? When I do repot it, would you recommend a shallow bonsai pot or a larger pot like the one it is currently just sitting in? I haven't done anything yet as I've learned from other threads in here that Fukien teas can be super finnicky and can get stressed out and die easily so its just been hanging out. Any help with steps forward would be appreciated! By the way I live in North carolina. Thanks!
View attachment 311735View attachment 311736View attachment 311737

Greetings, wanderer! Knock the lichen of your bark and frolic with us ‘mongst the Woody Dwarves of the Tiny Forest!

I know nothing of Fukien Tea....

I DO know people carry a VERY differing “mixed bag” of opinions/feelings about them.

Some can grow them just fine...

The general consensus (or so I’ve heard) is they lean a bit towards the “finicky” side of the road. (But have no personal experience)

Someone will blow through shortly to paint a MUCH better picture of Fukien Care.

I’s just swinging on through, giving “finger guns”, saying: “Pleasure to make your acquaintance!”... super cool-like.

😎

DrTolhur

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've been in bonsai for less than a year myself, so take my advice with an appropriately-sized grain of salt. Given that: 1) You're brand new to bonsai, 2) spring has passed, and 3) it's a Fukien...these add up in my mind to suggesting you don't do too much at this point. I'm quite conservative and aim to never risk killing a tree, so my idea would be to repot it now but keeping the soil, as suggested above, just so it has some space to grow and remain healthy. Make sure the soil you use drains well and the pot has at least one hole on the bottom for excess water to drain. Then just water and fertilizer. Next spring, repot it into a bonsai pot with bonsai soil. Then just water and fertilizer until you see how it responds. If it still seems healthy and hasn't dropped a bunch of leaves, you could try the large prune suggested above. Otherwise, you could probably do any other pruning you might choose any time it's growing and healthy.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Walk before you run. Don't do anything until you learn how to keep one alive for some period of time. It needs a half day of sun, east is best. Don't let it suffer from drought. Water it regularly, like every 8 AM or 3 PM any day it doesn't rain. If you have torrential rains or rain many days in a row, give some protection so the plant can cycle wet, dry, wet, dry, ad infinitum (this is a regional, micro-climate accommodation depending on YOUR weather which outsiders cannot know). Practice clip & grow to keep it approximately the same form and shape. Remove spent flowers which last a day or so. That will keep you busy. 🤣 As new leaves emerge at the ends of twigs, expect older, inner foliage to turn black on the edges and die and you remove sort of continuously when they look ugly. That is the normal cycle of life. Feed the tree every 2 weeks or so with any commercial brand liquid at label strength from May 1st to September 1st. Post pictures of what you do or need to question what you should do to help you get into a routine of continuing care.

markspy9

Seed
Reaction score
Walk before you run. Don't do anything until you learn how to keep one alive for some period of time. It needs a half day of sun, east is best. Don't let it suffer from drought. Water it regularly, like every 8 AM or 3 PM any day it doesn't rain. If you have torrential rains or rain many days in a row, give some protection so the plant can cycle wet, dry, wet, dry, ad infinitum (this is a regional, micro-climate accommodation depending on YOUR weather which outsiders cannot know). Practice clip & grow to keep it approximately the same form and shape. Remove spent flowers which last a day or so. That will keep you busy. 🤣 As new leaves emerge at the ends of twigs, expect older, inner foliage to turn black on the edges and die and you remove sort of continuously when they look ugly. That is the normal cycle of life. Feed the tree every 2 weeks or so with any commercial brand liquid at label strength from May 1st to September 1st. Post pictures of what you do or need to question what you should do to help you get into a routine of continuing care.
Oh my gosh thank you!! I appreciate the help and will strive to keep it thriving for now:)

markspy9

Seed
Reaction score
I've been in bonsai for less than a year myself, so take my advice with an appropriately-sized grain of salt. Given that: 1) You're brand new to bonsai, 2) spring has passed, and 3) it's a Fukien...these add up in my mind to suggesting you don't do too much at this point. I'm quite conservative and aim to never risk killing a tree, so my idea would be to repot it now but keeping the soil, as suggested above, just so it has some space to grow and remain healthy. Make sure the soil you use drains well and the pot has at least one hole on the bottom for excess water to drain. Then just water and fertilizer. Next spring, repot it into a bonsai pot with bonsai soil. Then just water and fertilizer until you see how it responds. If it still seems healthy and hasn't dropped a bunch of leaves, you could try the large prune suggested above. Otherwise, you could probably do any other pruning you might choose any time it's growing and healthy.
Thank you!! It’s currently in a plastic pot with holes and all the plants I have (quite a few just none bonsai) are all in pots with holes as I have lost too many to root rot when younger lol. I guess I’ll be rockin my tree as is until spring!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
One let me bring it back from life support ;)
I‘ve had one that decide to die a while back so I read some and am super slow to do anything to it.
I keep mine inside 3’ from a window on a table. It gets a few hours direct sunlight.
My day starts every day by feeding and giving water to my cat then give the Fukien 5 ice cubes :)

Enjoy looking at it and be slow to change it. That’s my advice from limited experience.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I managed to kill a couple inside but with summer here they are outside looking great.

Top Bottom