Nu-bonzaibee...omg It's growing too fast!

Emelita

Seed
Reaction score
New to the sport. I purchased three and all are doing well. However, this one just exploded in growth after being watered. I set it in half inch of water for 20 minutes once. I did not do anything else. Here is one month of new growth. What do I do now? Also what is the name of this variety? Thanks for any suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_4600.jpg
    IMG_4600.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 170

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Almost looks like a money tree.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Emelita

Seed
Reaction score
Almost looks like a money tree.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce
Thanks, but no, that's not what I need to know.
I mean, this is not a bonzai if it is going to grow 6 inches every 6 weeks. I will just have to stick it outside with the rhododendrons.
No body knows how to keep this bonzai-ish?
Thanks for any tips

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Looks like a schefflera, which is tropical. Add your location in the world to your profile, to get the best advice.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I mean, this is not a bonzai if it is going to grow 6 inches every 6 weeks. I will just have to stick it outside with the rhododendrons.
I wish my bonsai would grow 1 inch a week!
Plants in good care and conditions grow fast. That's what pruning is for. After a while, the pot size will restrict growth. At that point it'll slow down.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
arbicola shefflera, tropical plant
plants are not bonsai or not. Plants are used to create bonsai. You need to go back to square one and figure out what it is you are looking for.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's not schefflera...though the picture hints at that. @skot is right about the leaves.

I think wat @sorce meant by "money tree" is pachira aquatica. It is often sold as braided trunks in bonsai format in big box stores. I don't think that is it either...I've never seen one with brown bark...always grey.

A picture of the leaves face on would help. Piers japonica doesn't look right to me either.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Looks a lot like Pieris to me .If it is Pieris it needs to be kept outside its a hardy evergreen shrub ,likes cool ,semi shaded conditions.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it is odd that the op bought a plant without knowing anything about it. I guess maybe a lot of you do but I think its really strange.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
A first. I’ve never before heard of one complaining about a tree growing too much.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks for any tips
Too much growth is almost like too much money. A really good problem to have!

Fast growth---- that's what bonsai scissors are for. You can learn to prune now .....or........you can learn to prune now. Come to terms with the fact that a bonsai will not look good every day of the year. Just cruise around this site, watch some Youtube videos and maybe join a local club. People here will be glad to help you with any problems that you may have.

Emelita

Seed
Reaction score
Yes, forgive me for buying a tree on Craigslist and not studying bonzai for at least a bachelor's degree in tiny trees. And if I wanted a bonzai that would be 3 feet high in six months I would have bought a rose bush. I know that there are serioius controls that can be applied.... leaf pruning and root reduction. Not on this forum though.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You need your eyes testing!!;)

They've taken to their training of not being able to identify plants not useful for Bonsai 🧐🤣!

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Thanks for any tips
Bonsai are all normal garden plants so they will grow if you let them. It is normal for our bonsai to grow. It is good for our bonsai to grow. Bonsai do not stay small all by themselves.
Your job as a bonsai grower is to manage the growth. You need to trim the new shoots when they get too long. Cut every shoot back by at least half. That will not hurt the tree. It will respond with more new shoots that will grow. Repeat as often as the tree grows to maintain size and shape.
The good news is that it won't grow 6" every 6 weeks all year. This is just a spring growth spurt and will slow as summer approaches and probably stop completely in winter.
If you are not prepared to trim and prune you'll need to swap your living bonsai for plastic replicas.

It can be hard to ID some plants from photos without more info as many plants have leaves that look similar.
Pieris has already been suggested and is possible. I'll add Forsythia as a possible ID. Forsythia have yellow flowers late in winter and also grow fast in spring like this one has.
Location can sometimes give clues to possible plant ID which is why someone has already asked where in the world you live. The world is a big place with lots of different climates and Bonsai nut covers all of it. Adding a general location to your personal profile can get much better advice for your situation.

Top Bottom