Nuccio's Wild Cherry progression

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not much to write about this one as I received it 2 weeks ago. Bought it from MrMaple's website in a 1 gal container. The root ball wasn't intact so I carefully slip it into a 1 gal rootpouch in a "pot in pot" fashion as I am running out of the space my wife let's me use for in-ground growing. I teased up the surface to see if there were any woody roots and found out that there was just an inverted cone shape of roots leading to the finer roots. Kinda looks as if I was trying to set up an exposed roots bonsai. I left it in the organic soil it came with as it drained very well, but added some potting soil amended with pumice and lava rock in a 2.1.1. Hopefully it will be ready to report next spring, I don't know how fast azaleas grow. I think I will shoot select today when I get home from work and see if there is anything I can wire to give it more space and definition.

Azalea a.JPG

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks like a pretty good base. You will have to see how much you want to clean up the roots into a more traditional nebari, or keep this exact look. Thinking long term, it may be worth it to have some growth&pruning cycles where you remove downward growing roots, forcing these exposed upper roots to swell up more. The alternative is to remove all roots that cross or curl back awkwardly first. Then find new roots that do grow out radially very nearly.

Similarity, you will have to decide if you want this to be a twin trunk long term.

Maybe the most short term success can be gained by having this as a single trunk design, keeping about the size it has now, leverage these exposed roots as part of the style,

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This picture was taken Nov 14, 2021. I wasn't expecting flowers from this azalea other than the one bud that showed up at the end of OCT, but it is still flowering right now. So far we had 3 days in the high 30's in all of OCT-NOV-DEC... which is not the norm for this part of Texas. Very cool pink color...

IMG_3615.jpg

IMG_3557.jpg

IMG_3611.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
This picture was taken Nov 14, 2021. I wasn't expecting flowers from this azalea other than the one bud that showed up at the end of OCT, but it is still flowering right now. So far we had 3 days in the high 30's in all of OCT-NOV-DEC... which is not the norm for this part of Texas. Very cool pink color...

View attachment 411584

View attachment 411585

View attachment 411586
Very pretty BRIGHT pink. I love Nuccios, such nice guys and old school charming.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I really like Nuccio’s Wild Cherry azalea a lot, shows I’m partial to the red side of the spectrum. It’s background is very blurry for a satsuki although it’s parents are (Mme. Alfred Sander x Summer Sun).

Mme. Alfred Sander is a Belgium Indica, which possibly has R. indicum along with the R. Simsii, but the history of Summer Sun is lost years ago. I actually called Jim at Nuccios if they had any background… those data has faded over the years unless anyone around has got a lead.

Looking at this tree it reminds me of the one I received a couple months ago. I had to hold my breath and cut…. a lot. When I was done there still was more to do. So I laid some structural wire on it. Afterwards I plunked it down in one of the satsuki grow beds. Maybe next summer I will be able to finish the job…. On the positive side, I did get a few cuttings!

Good luck with this tree!

cheers
DSD sends

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Deep Sea Diver Question, how late can you repot an azalea? I want to move my Nuccio Wild Cherry from the organic nursery to Kanuma that I am getting delivered today. It started pushing leaves, there are a few bright green leaves in a few shoots. From what you posted can I bare root and trim for structure now, or am I too late? Peter Warren recommends repotting in Spring instead of after flowering is done. I don't mind not having flowers this year, I just want to get it out of the organics.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think you will be fine. I’ve been water washing azaleas on and off for the past two weeks and most of the azaleas are in some form of pushing new shoots or another… I think I’m at 35 or so now this year.

If you do the transition carefully the tree will bloom anyways. Yet if you desire maximum growth, cut these off, or leave a few just for fun!

Here’s a data dump on this procedure in case you haven’t done rootwashing before…and maybe a review if you have.

Please be sure to do a good job getting all the bark and soil out. I’ve gotten a few orphans in the past years that weren’t washed correctly. This doesn’t end well.

Lately I’ve changed my method, dropping the water bath… Now just water washing with my wand, alternating with a chopstick. Using the wand and chopstick to break up the rootball slowly, stroking down on the sides and outward from the top…. then turning the plant upside down and sweeping outward from the middle outward while working into the center… up the center alternating with using the water wand to sweep down and out, then upward in the center and a chopstick. About 20 minutes work.

Getting out those darn bark chips and perlite chunks the chips hide behind is the worst. Use tweezers…

Here’s a couple images from a 3 year old satsuki I shot Monday.

Intial break up
1DB9F1F5-D58E-40CE-ADAC-5F3845395BA3.jpeg

Working into the core. Note: work inside the bottom and top and wash…eventually working your way through
EAF14BEE-880F-4A13-9E1D-5C291803689B.jpeg

Final clean Up and getting ready to root trim so roots will fit radially in the pot. You will be surprised how few roots you have remaining…

Usually using a 5-6” diameter deep pot is best (about 2” deep inside or so ). I do not recommend using a show pot unless it has azalea dimensions, which 98% do not. It’s a waste.

Using Tokoname pots for most rootwashed azaleas, but boring 4 5/16” holes just onboard of the outside bottom edge at the N/S E/W axis for drainage if they aren’t provided.

Also using plastic training pots, oval or rectangular. I’ve found their drainage isn’t good enough to get best growth, so recommend drill 8-12 ish extra 5/16 or 1/4” holes on bottom, including N/S/E/W. I use single layer large kanuma on bottom, so no loss through these holes.

One may be a bit shell shocked after their first couple root washed. I was. Flat out flabbergasted! It is inevitable to lose or trim off many fine roots, but work carefully just the same. These will grow back in the next year.

9478BFD1-F8DB-4C15-ADAE-9FD4C23E0835.jpeg

Final…potting. Bury the nebari roots for the first year unless the nebari is already ready robust and well formed (usually not)
672E7C99-163B-4493-8311-F7C3F72D8EFA.jpeg

Good luck and please post before and after?
Cheers
DSD sends

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well, @Deep Sea Diver , I set out to take pictures, but in between the chaos I forgot to take some of the rootball after all the organic soil was removed. The kanuma is almost up to the edge of the container, so I replaced the coconut coir disk to hold it in and keep moisture inside as our summers are hot. It is receiving morning sun, afternoon shade under the trident and the cherry tree in my above ground bed. I need to set up some shade cloth for trees that don't like the Texas heat in the summer. I was going to wire now, but I think I will wait till fall. I will attempt to clip and grow to change direction during the growing season.

Nuccio Before1.JPG

Out of the bag

Nuccio out bag.JPG

Rootball before removing the soil

Nuccio rootball.JPG

Nuccio rootball1.JPG

Completed

Nuccio after.JPG

Nuccio After2.JPG

Nuccio After1.JPG

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well done @Maiden69 !! Sounds like a solid plan too.

A good root wash ought to set you up so you can water freely.

I like the idea of the coir mat. Our mosses wouldn’t cut it for sure down there! A good shade cloth would really help.

After a root wash it usually takes about four to six weeks for the plants to perk up. Yet this could be due to the weather still being cool when we root wash. We installed the greenhouses last summer so it’s possible I’ll have to revisit my estimate on this point. Anyways Wild Cherry ought to be ready to at least light prune by June.

One thing you could do after two weeks is done light wiring to arrange some of those branches.

Cheers
DSD sends

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks, weather here is getting hot already, yesterday we had low 90's... but it is supposed to stay within mid 70's to mid 80's for the next two weeks.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hokey Smoke! There was ice on top the water in the wheelbarrow today!

Best
DSD sends

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Pushing a few flowers. I took several cuttings that I planted in 100% pumice and have them in a small humidity dome with bottom heat at 73 degrees... hoping for the best, but so far the only cuttings I have had success with have been ficus (no surprise there) and tridents. They were taken on April 3rd, still green with a few leaves turning slightly yellow.

IMG_3829.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Rootball before removing the soil
That's one of the nicest azalea rootballs from a nursery I've seen in a long time. Almost 100% pine bark nuggets. Super easy to repot without (too much) fear. Typically I see azaleas come out of the pot in a solid brick of fine roots.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks good. Striking azalea cuttings is pretty easy.

Use the normal process. Keep shade cloth or screen to reduce the light for two weeks. Do the same for one week after up potting

Older wood cuttings will take longer to push roots and leaves.

After flower cuttings strike faster. I take them about 2-3 weeks after blooming is done and the branches are not so flexible. Keep 3 terminal leaves.

I got some Wild Cherry cuttings last fall and the hardwood ones are slow!

Cheers
DSD sends

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
That's one of the nicest azalea rootballs from a nursery I've seen in a long time. Almost 100% pine bark nuggets. Super easy to repot without (too much) fear. Typically I see azaleas come out of the pot in a solid brick of fine roots.
I got one in a funeral arrangement that I think is 100% peat, when it's dry, it is literally a spongy rootball shaped to the plastic plot it was grown in.

Attachments

• 20220418_081218.jpg
    20220418_081218.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 20220418_081229.jpg
    20220418_081229.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220418_081248.jpg
    20220418_081248.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 22

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I got one in a funeral arrangement that I think is 100% peat, when it's dry, it is literally a spongy rootball shaped to the plastic plot it was grown in.
Exactly. Poor organic soil mix that breaks down, compacts, and the bush has to send fine roots to the exterior to breathe and get water. I see a rootball like that and shudder... because you know there will nothing under the surface except dead roots, and if you don't keep most of the exterior fine roots you will kill the plant.

Top Bottom