Nuersery Stock Acer Shirasawanum - Repot or wait?

akraftbeer

Seedling
Messages
8
Reaction score
4
Location
Kirkland, WA
I just got a new Acer Shirasawanum this past weekend. It has leafed out for the most part, there are a few up top that are still in process. Should I repot it into some bonsai soil now? Or wait until... when? Also, in Zone 8b


Thanks!
 

akhater

Shohin
Messages
481
Reaction score
148
Location
Lebanon
USDA Zone
9
Why the rush? Feed it well this year and take care of it. Repot next spring
 
Messages
275
Reaction score
235
Location
West Michigan, USA
USDA Zone
5
Hi @akraftbeer, and welcome to this great bonsai forum.

I understand your eagerness to work on this tree. I have been playing at bonsai for only two years, but if it were my tree, I'd see that it grew vigorously this year and work on it next spring...just my two cents in agreement with akhater.
 

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Messages
5,347
Reaction score
8,048
Location
Anacortes, WA (AHS heat zone 1)
USDA Zone
8b
If you want to immediately jump to the front of the line, wait until August/September and repot it then. You will need to keep it in shade for about 10 days and likely will need to sprinkle the foliage during the driest part of the day (around mid-afternoon).

Otherwise, wait until next spring, 'as buddy swell'. Your plant is apparently happy, so there is no need to repot until growth gets weak or the soil stops draining. We do, after all, keep bonsai somewhat root bound.
 

Similar threads


Top Bottom