Nurseries in Los Angeles area? look for Japanese maple

gsdly

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
So I plan to travel to LA area for about 3 days in June and stop by 2-3 nurseries (better locate closely) on my way back to SF. I am specifically look for one nice quality Japanese maple, either a pre-bonsai or finished one, and my budget is 1-2k.

I have heard recommendations about Kimura, House of bonsai, etc, please share suggestions if possible.

Thanks

Bagels

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You'll probably get better maples in the Bay Area than down here but I would try Fuji Bonsai Nursery.

gsdly

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You'll probably get better maples in the Bay Area than down here but I would try Fuji Bonsai Nursery.
yeah, I saw Lone Pine Gardens in sebastopol has some nice maples but they were a bit too large. Anyway I would try maybe 2 of the recommended nurseries above in June, maybe for something else.

thanks

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Bonsai Nut (Greg) the founder/moderator of this site knows all things Los Angeles area bonsai. Would be worth a private message conversation with him.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hard to find Japanese maples in SoCal because it is extremely hard to keep them alive. A combination of no winter, extreme heat and dry wind, and hard alkaline water, defeats most attempts. For example you won't see them in landscape unless they are very sheltered from both wind and sun, and get special care that includes softened water and acid fertilizer.

At one point I tried a number of cultivars (I think as many as 8 or 10) and the only one I could keep alive for more than a year was sango kaku - and even that was in a sheltered location in my grow area in almost complete shade. They would push foliage, and the first Santa Ana wind event would burn 50% or more of all the leaves.

SoCal is a great location for California junipers, black pines, live oaks, olives and other Mediterranean species, Chinese elms, quince, citrus, most tropicals... but not white pines, red pines, or any deciduous that needs a cold winter dormant period.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Muranaka is in Nipomo and Nipomo is between LA and SF

Top Bottom