Nurseries in South Florida with good JBP stock

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
I'm located in Stuart, Florida and I'm looking for any nurseries that have good JBP stock.

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It's been about 3 years, but when I lived on the east coast I visited dragon tree bonsai a couple of times. I don't remember a whole lot of JBP but he definitely had some good deciduous stock. Regardless, it's really close to you so give it a shot.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's been about 3 years, but when I lived on the east coast I visited dragon tree bonsai a couple of times. I don't remember a whole lot of JBP but he definitely had some good deciduous stock. Regardless, it's really close to you so give it a shot.

I was just there a few weeks ago. He had a load of JBP stock. He had two sections of JBP one section was larger, gallon size 3/4's to 1 inch trunk for $40 ! These were grown for Bonsai, tap root cut etc. His prices did not seem bad.

ed

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
I was there a few weeks ago as well It's 15 minutes from my house, I wasn't extremely impressed with his JBP stock though. I think I'll have to take another look.

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Did you take another look at dragon tree?

Regardless, in the meantime (you should still try to find some good older stock if you can) you should invest in some 1-3 year old seedlings and maybe even some seeds. I haven't been terribly impressed with anything local, but keep my eye open for online buys too - which are usually better deals anyways. I have 10 three year old JBP well on their way to development, and about 25 brand new seedlings this year.

If I remember correctly you're 17 or 18, I'm 27 (today is my birthday!). I started bonsai at your age, then took 5 years off because of college, girls, and parties (not always in that order :p). We have time that makes it worth while to start JBP, and all types of trees from seed or seedling. :cool:

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
I went back and looked, yes. His stuff isn't bad but the main problem is that most of his JBP stock lacks lower branching and foliage close to the trunk. I've actually been wanting to start some JBP from seed and grow them in colanders though.. Is it too late in the season to start them from seed regarding stratification and all that or does it not really matter since I'm so far South? Thanks for the advice and happy 27th!

Here is a blogpost on a JBP from Dragontree, one of the 40 dollar ones If I am not mistaken:

https://adamaskwhy.wordpress.com/2014/02/13/10-year-black-pine-project-give-or-take-a-year/

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'd say go for it. I started the seeds a little later than I would have liked this year, but we are really far south so winter protection won't be as difficult. I get my seeds from www.treeshrubseeds.com - if you're going to use them, colanders probably wouldn't be necessary until after the 1st year. Also, there's a lot of good info on the internet, here, etc. But I really like stone lanterns "Pines" book. I find myself going back to it pretty often.

Last edited:

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
Yeah I wouldn't use colanders until they get a little thickness on them. Thanks for the advice though, I'll look into getting that book! If anyone else has any advice or articles on growing JBP feel free to post them here, I'd be very appreciative.

TN Jim

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm located in Stuart, Florida and I'm looking for any nurseries that have good JBP stock.

Wigerts Bonsai in North Fort Myers is a great place. Erik and Andrea are great people, loads of experience and good stock. I was down last winter and remember seeing a good selection of JBP. Here is their website for more information.

Jim

http://wigertsbonsai.com

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
I haven't been there in person but a lot of their prices on Ebay and Facebook are ridiculous. If those are an accurate reflection of their prices at the nursery in person I'm not sure I'd want to spend my money there. However, I'm going to the gulf coast of Florida this upcoming weekend so I might as well make a stop there.

Gaitano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Wigerts

I was able to visit in April. Their prices on eBay are not an accurate representation of their nursery prices. They have a great selection, are very helpful and I thought the prices were reasonable. They had some JBP's for $40ish. If you are nearby it's worth stopping by to see what all they have.

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
I'm glad that It's not an accurate depiction of their pricing... I'll definitely be stopping through to look for JBP and just to look at the nursery, It's a very well kept place from what I have seen.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I went back and looked, yes. His stuff isn't bad but the main problem is that most of his JBP stock lacks lower branching and foliage close to the trunk. I've actually been wanting to start some JBP from seed and grow them in colanders though.. Is it too late in the season to start them from seed regarding stratification and all that or does it not really matter since I'm so far South? Thanks for the advice and happy 27th!

Here is a blogpost on a JBP from Dragontree, one of the 40 dollar ones If I am not mistaken:

https://adamaskwhy.wordpress.com/2014/02/13/10-year-black-pine-project-give-or-take-a-year/

No Kaya those are not the JBP I seen at Dragon Tree. His were in his pre bonsai section and all were in gallon pots. They had the roots worked and none were as big as that one. The pots were about half full of soil medium and they were between 10-18 tall. Some smaller ones were $25 too.

ed

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
Ed those were still from his nursery, I have seen JBP the exact same size that are in the VERY back of the nursery. I'm familiar with the cheaper ones he has and they all still have the same problem with lacking much lower branching. Either way I might pick one up from Robert eventually with the intentions of styling it as a bunjin tree.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wigerts Bonsai in North Fort Myers is a great place. Erik and Andrea are great people, loads of experience and good stock. I was down last winter and remember seeing a good selection of JBP. Here is their website for more information.

Jim

http://wigertsbonsai.com

I was going to say the same thing. I was there last summer, he has tables full of JBP, multiple different types with varying degrees of development. Good prices too!

I noticed he seems to focus on Tropicals, so the Shimpaku, JBP, and some nice heavy trunked SanJose Juniper... Were all in great health, but there were few if any developed specimens. I think in retrospect that might be why they were so fairly priced!

Top Bottom