Nurseries in the Santa Cruz area

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any good nurseries in the Santa Cruz area that have potential material?

Thanks,
Jeff

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are none. Back in the day.....early 80"s, that area was a fairly nice mecca of bonsai material.

San Lorenzo Lumber in Santa Cruz is where I bought my first tree. Had really nice large trees, 16" to 20". Now they have some starters from Ian Price (Lone Pine) which are over priced for what you get. It is still my favorite nursery in the state, but now I buy for my yard there.

Bones and Jones in Capitola had speciman bonsai, and really had some good material.

Yamagami's in Saratoga had wonderful material and most of Midori club bought material there.

Yamanaka Bonsai Nursery on Saratoga-Sunnyvale Rd. in San Jose was another bonsai nursery that was wonderful and had great prices.

Too bad...it was great while it lasted....

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Yamanaka Bonsai Nursery on Saratoga-Sunnyvale Rd. in San Jose was another bonsai nursery that was wonderful and had great prices."

Is that place still there? I visited it a very long time ago, like 1989. At the time, I bought a bonsai pot, but didn't really know what I was looking at plant-wise.

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
"Yamanaka Bonsai Nursery on Saratoga-Sunnyvale Rd. in San Jose was another bonsai nursery that was wonderful and had great prices."

Is that place still there? I visited it a very long time ago, like 1989. At the time, I bought a bonsai pot, but didn't really know what I was looking at plant-wise.

Unfortunately they closed and the buildings were torn down for Condos. Just what we needed out here in the Bay Area, more housing that will not sell for several years.

logan3

Yamadori
Reaction score
I live in Felton (SC Mtns.) and I like to go to Redwood Nursery in Scotts Valley. They are located on the frontage rd. along side of Hiway 17 at the Mt. Hermon Rd. exit. This is a very old nursery and they have alot of older material to choose from, plus the owners are very nice. Pete

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Jeff,

Don't know about nurseries, but forum member cbobgo in Watsonville had access for digging redwoods a couple of years ago when I went with him. You might try to track him down and set up a dig.

Paul

bonnsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Material

Hello....Some of the best material is not at nurseries. Its from some of the older members of the local clubs...Santa Cruz Bonsai Kai, Watsonville Bonsai or Monterey Bonsai....Check those place and see what you can find!

Top Bottom