Nurseries with Japanese or Trident maples in NJ?

BigAbs321

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hey I was wondering if anyone from the Jersey area had any recommendations for nurseries with decently priced maples. I'm looking for either Trident Maples or Japanese Maples. Unfortunately I think most of the places around me sell either either grafted or very expensive maples. I'm in the central Jersey area and anywhere nearby would be awesome. Thanks!

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
All commercial nurseries that I've ever been to sell grafted trees. It's pretty standard in the USA. But you shouldn't be to far from all shapes bonsai nursery in NJ. He grows Trident from seed and JM. He also propagates cuttings from a few JM cultivars like kiyo hime and Kashima.

BigAbs321

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ahh I see, thank you. Do you know how much he charges for prebonsai maples and seedlings?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ahh I see, thank you. Do you know how much he charges for prebonsai maples and seedlings?
Price is going to depend on the size and development of the tree. A 1-2 year old seedling will be a lot less than a 5 year old prebonsai that has had some shaping/training

You might try to contact them to see if/when they have maples available. https://shop.allshapesbonsai.com/collections/bonsai-pre-bonsai

You can also buy seedlings in the late winter/early spring from Evergreen Gardenworks: https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/
and International Bonsai: http://www.internationalbonsai.com/page/1442817

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
All shapes ranges from $9 to something like $150. I like the nursery, I try to go once or twice a year. I’ll be honest his tridents are fairly pricey for what you get. The nebari usually isn’t there, but because they’re maples you can fix that. He’ll charge around $90 for a 1” (or just below) trident trunk with terrible roots. Not easy to find trident where we are so it’s potentially worth buying and air layering. But have a look for yourself.

if you don’t see something you like, I know a guy in eastern PA who sells tridents with perfect radial roots for $75. Just DM and I’ll talk to him 🥸😉

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Hey I was wondering if anyone from the Jersey area had any recommendations for nurseries with decently priced maples. I'm looking for either Trident Maples or Japanese Maples. Unfortunately I think most of the places around me sell either either grafted or very expensive maples. I'm in the central Jersey area and anywhere nearby would be awesome. Thanks!
It’s very hard to find bonsai In nj especially living in the jersey shore

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It’s very hard to find bonsai In nj especially living in the jersey shore
Always jealous of you jersey shore people. All those beautiful windswept pines are very inspiring AND they are JBP. They don’t plant those here in PA, you can go collect seeds in the fall or dig up seedling trees in the spring for free. They thrive in your climate

Top Bottom