Nursery appeal

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pines, larches, chinese junipers (not the stricta, never the stricta), rocky mountain junipers that are not(!) the columnar varieties like skyrocket, azaleas are cheap around here; 2 euros a piece for every cultivar but they're all small cuttings, small leaf ginkgo, hinoki cypress, and freaking wildtype sabina (not the tamariscifolia) is very hard to find in the US.

Those are what I'd love to find as small, medium and larger trees.

About yay high, any fruits that aren't grafted (anyone can cut those back whenever) and juniper cultivars like media, pfizer (because grafting new foliage is easy, and these are great cheap trunks).
If they have that kind of time, make them only pick the female junipers. The males will sell, but not as good as the females.

I know there's a huge wish for ume and mume, so flowering prunus are definetely good.

Also, make sure they check out accent plants in their free time. Could be a goldmine for them.
Thanks, I will show them this list too. I am curious though, why female junipers? I have told them about mumes, and try to add some rare to find stuff it they can.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
For bonsai. I want him to have a good start, he is very interested in supplying the hobby.
What I meant was, there is a huge difference between "we'd like you to stock Japanese maples" and "we'd like you to create Japanese maple pre-bonsai".

Last edited:

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What I meant was, there is a huge difference between "we'd like you to stock Japanese maples" and "we'd like you to create Japanese maple pre-bonsai".
So your saying you would rather something be styled rather than a seedling?

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry @Bonsai Nut i should have clarified it better. They already have a nursery, and doing very well. He knows I’ve been into bonsai and thought that could be an addition to the nursery, I’m sure at the moment he is thinking seedlings since they move much quicker. I will help him if needed, but I think it’s more helping people find material to play with. Hope that cleared it up better.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks, I will show them this list too. I am curious though, why female junipers? I have told them about mumes, and try to add some rare to find stuff it they can.
The females of monoecious species produce the blue juniper berries. Ornamentally, they can look amazing. I've looked for them in nurseries and they're unheard of. Males are preferred because they don't make a mess of the yard. Not an issue with bonsai, though.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
So your saying you would rather something be styled rather than a seedling?
There is some extra labor that goes into a plant to make it “pre-bonsai” rather than just another small sapling. Early wiring or clip&gro techniques on the trunk to create interest while the plants are small and pliable. I think that’s what differentiates plants grown specifically for bonsai and typical nursery stock.

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is some extra labor that goes into a plant to make it “pre-bonsai” rather than just another small sapling. Early wiring or clip&gro techniques on the trunk to create interest while the plants are small and pliable. I think that’s what differentiates plants grown specifically for bonsai and typical nursery stock.
I understand, I just figured some people like to have seedlings to make their on design. I think both could be an option, what do you think? Maybe start some in clumps and forest as well, but that’s why I’m here to get experts opinions.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Some good stock of flowering trees like crab apples.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The male junipers produce pollen cones, and where those cones pop up, the foliar tip with the cone on the end stops growing.
Also, the pollen are highly allergenic and some people get serious hay fever around them.

I own one true yamadori juniper that I paid a lot of euros for. If I would've known it to be male, I wouldn't have paid that much for it.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The male junipers produce pollen cones, and where those cones pop up, the foliar tip with the cone on the end stops growing.
Also, the pollen are highly allergenic and some people get serious hay fever around them.

I own one true yamadori juniper that I paid a lot of euros for. If I would've known it to be male, I wouldn't have paid that much for it.
Does chinese juniper have berries too, or just cones?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Does chinese juniper have berries too, or just cones?
Juniperus chinensis normally occurs in dioecious forms - an individual is either male or female - but monoecious varieties do occasionally occur. This is common in juniper species.

I was mixing up my terms before, swapping mono- and dioecious. Sorry.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Juniperus chinensis normally occurs in dioecious forms - an individual is either male or female - but monoecious varieties do occasionally occur. This is common in juniper species.

I was mixing up my terms before, swapping mono- and dioecious. Sorry.
I have never seen a monoecious juniper, but I've heard about them.
But to answer @Rivian : yes, chinese junipers have berries too. All junipers do, but some varieties almost never flower. The key difference in the flowering is that female junipers tend to produce just a couple flowers on every branch (flowers look like white little squares), so if those growing tips are occupied with flowers and stop growing, there's usually a lot of foliage left that can take over without any problem. In male plants it can be so bad that every growing tip on the entire branch develops a flower. And that stops that branch from growing for a while. In essence, it's a kind of natural pruning of the branch and all new growth will have to come from further back.
It's not entirely clear how to prevent flowering all together; some say it's done by keeping the plant healthy, others say it's better to keep it stressed, and some people say you'll have to roll with the punches.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
I have never seen a monoecious juniper, but I've heard about them.
Juniperus phoenicea subsp. turbinata is monoecious all trees produce both male and female cones, Juniperus cedrus the other Juniper species we have in the Canary islands is dioecious male and female trees exist

Top Bottom