Nursery find - ID please

heeclee

Sapling
Reaction score
Went to a commercial garden center pick up some indoor house plants, and found this tree in a neglected state (some branches are broken, leaves crushed) at cheap price.
It only had price and no other descriptions and cashiers didn't know what species this was.
Could this be a hornbeam? Some type of elm? Hope I can keep this alive until next year to repot to better soil.
20180520_093106.jpg
20180520_093146.jpg

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Damn, very cool! How much?

Looks like Korean Hornbeam to me.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The shape of the leaves say Korean Hornbeam.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd say K. Hornbeam too. What nursery? I probably live near you and might know the place.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Got it from Behnke at Beltsville.
Son of a gun! Nice find, I never saw that. I've been to Behnke's 2x in the last month getting perennials and annuals with my gf for some landscaping.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I suspect it came from Ducky Hong who has many trees for sale there. In any event, a nice find. Enjoy!
That's right, I forgot that in addition to the bonsai on sale there, that there's a section or cart which usually has starter stock, which as I recall is mostly just trunks in pots.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
damn, that's nicer than any of the stuff I've been training haha

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Have'nt been there in a while, but Ducky Hong has an outbuilding or large shed from which he sells prebonsai. On the left of the left-side driveway and across from the side entrance to the greenhouses.

Top Bottom