Nursery finds mugo and boxwood

CrisisM0de

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello again!

I wanted to share a couple of trees I found today at the nursery. I am very certain the boxwood was a great find! I plan to prune it back into shape and then leave it alone until spring. The mugo I am not so sure about; they had many to pick from and only 2 seemed like good candidates. I haven't cleaned it up at all because I don't know where to start, but I tried to get good pictures of it. I chose it because of the large base of the trunk and it seemed like it might have movement I can do something with. Does anyone have any ideas for the mugo? Did I choose poorly?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 63

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Too many low branches and dirt on the mugo to tell

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think you did great on the mugo actually. But if they're container grown, the root base could be a real mess.
All those fine branches can back bud and they are perfect to scale for a tiny tree (at least in the sense of thickness). I can't load picture no. 6 for some reason. To me it seems like A-OK starter material. Sure, the root base could still be a mess, but that's just one part of the entire composition.
The mugos we get around here tend to have branches with somewhat the same thickness, which makes it hard to figure out how to make a tiny tree. In your case, there's a lot destined to be removed, but also a lot to work with effectively.

If you add your location to your profile, people will provide better help accustomed to your climate.

Top Bottom