Nursery juniper long term project

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I picked this up last fall. Figured it would be good for some styling and wiring practice. I kind of hoped to be able to pull off a kind of instant bonsai type deal there actually. Lopped off a few things, looked, moved a few things around. Just couldn't come up with a way to make any kind of satisfactory tree there short term so sat it to the side and haven't looked at it again until now.

Decided for now to go the opposite route of instant bonsai, long long term and see if I can grow a real juniper trunk.

Inspired by trees like this. These are maybe 40ish years old? Field grown in Taiwan and easily able to compete with centuries old collected trees, pretty cool. If I could afford the time and resources I wouldn't mind starting a juniper field. image.jpg image.jpg Anyway this ain't Taiwan and I don't even have a field but I've got a little tree to grow. Updates will likely be very infrequent but I like to get a starting point recorded here. Found a likely new leader, wired it. From the top you can see there's a fair bit of sacrifice tree to fuel trunk growth. Some root work and new soil next year, maybe someday will get it into the ground. Maybe someday there will be something worthy to update the thread with? Maybe. image.jpg image.jpg

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am sure you will have made it into a fabulous bonsai, like your examples,
when you pix include your grandchildren :D;).

It will be fun, anyway!

Yep, just like them! It sure seems unlikely, nearly inconceivable but what the hell eh? Growing this juniper out is inspired by those examples above, expectations are a different matter entirely. Looks fun to try.

Top Bottom