Nursery Juniper to Pre-Bonsai for under $30!

ekim046

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey folks!

I just purchased this Juniper nursery stock over at the San Gabriel Nursery out in Southern California.
I looked around and they did have a large selection of amazing bonsai that ranged from $45.00-$50,000+. Apparently, they had been robbed a few years back of some of their most expensive bonsai stock..tragic.

Anywho! I purchased this one for about $30 along with a $45 Chinese Elm (pretty much styled already).
Inspired by some videos I saw online, I tried my hand at transforming a $30 Juniper into a beautiful bonsai! err.. at least pre bonsai. Let me know what you guys think!

And yes. It was very. very. hot while doing this. but i took extra care (and is still in my room and getting misted at least 15 times daily) and will be slowly transitioned into full sun over time. Either way, any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

Quince

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice work.
Now don't kill it with kindness. You need to find a way to get this thing some real light, or it's never going to regain its health. Outdoors northern exposure, dappled shade, morning sun; any of these would be better than the damp cave that is your bedroom.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
damp cave that is your bedroom

So assuming!

What if his room is a deck on the roof where he is always in the buff?

Google earth!

Oh yeah....

Bout them chemtrails that are decoys for the Google earth photo planes....

Since satellites are fake!

Earth is flat!

And they had us worried about chemicAls!

Sorce

Quince

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So assuming!

What if his room is a deck on the roof where he is always in the buff?

Google earth!

Oh yeah....

Bout them chemtrails that are decoys for the Google earth photo planes....

Since satellites are fake!

Earth is flat!

And they had us worried about chemicAls!

Sorce
Yes. Assuming that the OP is not sleeping outdoors.
Indoor light + misting 15 times per day
= damp cave

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hmmmm, I would say you removed a "little" more than the recommended 1/3 max foliage and you're keeping it indoors. I hope it makes it but you have really weakened it and if you keep it indoors it will certainly die. Good luck.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Cool vid Eugin. Sorry I didn't make it out to the nursery. Didn't know you ended up going. Procumbens are pretty hearty material and it should be a good tree to learn and mess around with before buying more expensive material.

Repotting is more lenient in Southern California and people do repot junipers well into July here. As others have said junipers don't really thrive indoors and can result in a slow decline in the tree's health. I would recommend placing the tree where you have dappled sun or afternoon shade. Just keep it well watered, you have a good coarse mix so overwatering at this time of year should not be a major concern. When you see new growth emerging you probably can move the tree into full sun.

In the future I'd probably remove the lower right branch entirely. With a smaller trunk you're going to want tight pads close to the trunk. A skinny trunk with leggy branches will look pretty wonky and out of scale. Keeping the tree in a well aerated environment with lots of sun will ensure healthy inner growth that can become future branches.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes. Assuming that the OP is not sleeping outdoors.
Indoor light + misting 15 times per day
= damp cave

Just note the hidden jab at those who assume when it actually matters....

Like when you can't see the soil at all and assume it's too wet.

The video made it sound like maybe it was outside...

Close enough to not jump down dudes dying juniper about it!:p

Enthusiasm scale is 8 of 10 or more...
I'm with a video!

Cheers Ekim!

Sorce

ekim046

Seedling
Reaction score
Whoa! wasn't expecting all the feedback haha!
Thanks for the concern folks but the tree was only brought in for the night pretty much so i could let the tree rest a bit and do some minor branch wiring and misting :p.
At this point, she should be getting early to mid sunlight and shade from the afternoon so she should be fine. I hope!
And for the lower branch....we'll see. If anything perhaps it could be a sacrificial tree but I'm kinda wondering if lifting the branch up would help to fill in the composition. If not - chop lol.
I'll let you guys know when she does (or doesnt) bounce back!

Top Bottom