Nursery Juniperus styling

Bonsaiolo

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I’m letting it grow on. I want to pot it up and give it fairly free reign 1st to strengthen,
however, with the current foliage, it is the least liked of my junipers
and as you saw, there were no replies in a year and a half in that thread
asking folks to share their experiences and photos. I predict this to
be the most neglected of all my projects, and hope it will take off and grow
more once the roots are freed up.

We all have neglected projects I guess! Sometimes you buy a tree in a nursery, and then the more you look at it, the less creative inspiration you have.
Focus on the trees you like the most, and keep this one in mind, and you will come back to it later on, when you feel like it :)

Bonsaiolo

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
When did you wire this in what season?
Your wiring needs attention, and when you wired it and how much you altered the juniper
will have bearing on when to attend to the wiring...
...but I would guess it was recent and should wait till March to remove perhaps earlier.
There’s one specific area where the wire will cut in worse than most as the trunk swells
or as Spring growth ensues.

Then, the wire size and number of wire strands used will be a big help in your journey in bonsai.
...add the free class (not trial) to your cart. It’s well known on the forum here, in a good way.
You’re going to want to use a larger single strand to accomplish what you did with 3.
You will with a larger strand be able to put more movement into the trunk which will hold
as well as twisting the trunk, and in a manner that will hold the twist you put in.
The free class attends more on how to make a clean effective subject. Art.

I wired the tree about two weeks ago! I'll pay attention during spring and make sure the wire doesn't cut too much in the bark. I know the wiring is terrible, and theorically, I know how to wire, but I was a bit lazy on this one haha! I will invest in aluminium wire with larger diameter! I followed a class on wiring by Mirai on youtube, which is pretty well done, don't know if you've heard about it!

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I wired the tree about two weeks ago! I'll pay attention during spring and make sure the wire doesn't cut too much in the bark. I know the wiring is terrible, and theorically, I know how to wire, but I was a bit lazy on this one haha! I will invest in aluminium wire with larger diameter! I followed a class on wiring by Mirai on youtube, which is pretty well done, don't know if you've heard about it!
It’s not a lazy job of wiring, just incorrect in several ways.
Something like 3 branches down there’s...I can’t count how many spirals of wire together
but at least 3, maybe many many more.
Just below that, an elongated spiral of wire is/appears to be, passing through a previous wire scar
where wire was left on too long. Other apparent wire scars indicate this was not the 1st wiring.

Top Bottom