Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Debating on getting this guy, but it may be more work than it's worth. $200 ain't cheap, but I don't see nursery pines like this here.

Tree is about 18" from soil level with about a 3" nebari. Decent branch structure. Roots I'm sure are a mess, which may lend itself to not being a good choice. Hadn't seen anything like this locally before so figured I'd ask what you guys though.

Attachments

• PXL_20220326_205235095.jpg
    PXL_20220326_205235095.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 117
  • PXL_20220326_205247058.jpg
    PXL_20220326_205247058.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 102
  • PXL_20220326_205444119.jpg
    PXL_20220326_205444119.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 104

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Have you ever seen a healthy JWP being grown in the DFW area? My worry is that DFW is too hot for a mountain species of pine. Your first summer will toast it.
Yeah was a worry of mine. I wish I knew more people in this area into bonsai. Obviously selling some at a nursery =/= it will survive here.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
If you have seen JWP growing in the DFW area, then my opinion on the tree is maybe. It has a lot of problems for $200, but it has a thick trunk. If it had no problems, and that thick a trunk, it would be much more expensive. So how good are your bonsai skills?

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you have seen JWP growing in the DFW area, then my opinion on the tree is maybe. It has a lot of problems for $200, but it has a thick trunk. If it had no problems, and that thick a trunk, it would be much more expensive. So how good are your bonsai skills?
There's an active bonsai club in the DFW area. And the Hill's used to have a shop southeast of FW in the outer 'burbs. You should be able to meet like minded souls in the area, just reach out.

Any BNutters?
Haha probably not good enough, I'll hold off. I recently joined a Fort Worth club and I can ask them, just brand new and don't wanna be a bother I guess. Lol

Either way, I found a bald cypress for a decent price and been looking for one for awhile that wasn't massive and hundreds of dollars, so I'm happy!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
don't wanna be a bother I guess. Lol
Here( Eugene, OR)members LOVE helping/encouraging new Bonsai people☺️. At least when not driving away with ridiculous discriminatory vaccine pass requirement🤬!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Years ago I tried a white pine here but it did not grow well so I thought, like @Leo in N E Illinois that hot summers were the problem but a few years ago I picked up some seed and tried again. Nearly 10 years now and these new JWP are doing well. Summer temps regularly over 40C 100F here and have been as high as 45C and quite dry through summer. Winter down to just below freezing temps on many nights in winter.
Not sure how that compares with Fort Worth but it might give you some idea that JWP may be more heat hardy than the cold area growers let on.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yeah was a worry of mine. I wish I knew more people in this area into bonsai. Obviously selling some at a nursery =/= it will survive here.
Not necessarily. I got my ill-fated Scots at a local nursery.
Died slowly despite efforts to rescue.
Some nurseries will carry whatever they can get cheap.

Tragic loss. 😢

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Not necessarily. I got my ill-fated Scots at a local nursery.
Died slowly despite efforts to rescue.
Some nurseries will carry whatever they can get cheap.

Tragic loss. 😢
I think I worded that opposite than what I meant, but I meant the same thing you're saying.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Years ago I tried a white pine here but it did not grow well so I thought, like @Leo in N E Illinois that hot summers were the problem but a few years ago I picked up some seed and tried again. Nearly 10 years now and these new JWP are doing well. Summer temps regularly over 40C 100F here and have been as high as 45C and quite dry through summer. Winter down to just below freezing temps on many nights in winter.
Not sure how that compares with Fort Worth but it might give you some idea that JWP may be more heat hardy than the cold area growers let on.
Sounds pretty much exactly like here in north Texas. Definitely hot and dry summers. Winters can be a real mix bag. We've had some very mild winters before, but also two years ago had record below freezing temps with a couple days near -12 even to even down to -17C one day. But that's not normal at all, that was the coldest winter I've ever seen here and I've lived here my whole life.

On a side note, I'm wondering if you had good luck due to growing from seed and maybe as a seedling it adjusted to the climate more? I know very little about horticulture so that might be totally false.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
My Scots went from...

start.jpg

to...

middle.jpg

to

nuts.jpg

to

last.jpg

in a little under 4 years from ..... HEAT !!

:confused:🥲:mad:

So heed the warning !

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
On a side note, I'm wondering if you had good luck due to growing from seed and maybe as a seedling it adjusted to the climate more? I know very little about horticulture so that might be totally false.
There may be some sort of selection at play but all the seedlings that germinated have survived here. There would normally be high mortality for the first few years as the non hardy ones were weeded out by conditions. That has not happened.
I've grafted quite a few from the 3 seedlings and struck cuttings and all those grow well too.

Top Bottom