Nursery Material Colorado spruce

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Can blame Ryan, and his nursery material video's. I didn't plan on adding any trees to my collection this year but we all know how that goes :rolleyes:
Yes, yes we do...
I have restrained myself quite a bit over the last year...but still, I grabbed a red pot special a few weeks back, Ilex Red Beauty.
That blue you got there looks very dense.
Should give plenty of options!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Yes, yes we do...
I have restrained myself quite a bit over the last year...but still, I grabbed a red pot special a few weeks back, Ilex Red Beauty.
That blue you got there looks very dense.
Should give plenty of options!

I spent all night wiring it, Has a fantastic trunk pics later

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Needs so much more work and fine tuning but with this crazy weather and shoveling I'm tired lol
0117182006_HDR.jpg 0117182010_HDR.jpg 0117182010b.jpg 0117182009.jpg 0117182002.jpg

About 40% of the trunk going to binned and carved for age, including this whole section. I've been super brutal with this tree so now its going to be left alone after I repot in early spring
0117182010.jpg

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Like that trunk!
I too am going to do some nursery hoppin’ this Spring ,thanks to Mirai Live.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
So i've been in debate with myself if I want to work the jin and shari now, becasue it's so much ez'er with the bark still green. Or let things die back naturally and do it then,but much harder to work the wood at this point. hmmmm:)

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How much of an insult would deadwood work be on a blue spruce?
I mean:
Its dormant so the lose of the sticky juice would be less then when actively growing i think?
I got one too i styled in 2017 and wondering when to do the deadwoodwork probably soon i guess lol

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
How much of an insult would deadwood work be on a blue spruce?
I mean:
Its dormant so the lose of the sticky juice would be less then when actively growing i think?
I got one too i styled in 2017 and wondering when to do the deadwoodwork probably soon i guess lol

generally I do all my work on spruce in the dead of winter as they pull the cambium in tight and don't bleed much if at all - you just have to protect them from around 28 degrees, though I have left them out in very low temps after work and they haven't skipped a beat. I can do the jin's but it's the Shari that i'm worried about because I don't want to take out resources to a branch and have it wither and die. hmm I might just do a little now and slowly widen the shari, let it adapt as I go, over a few years.

Top Bottom