Nursery/Potting soil for pre-bonsai?

Guns286

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In my never ending Bonsai research I came across some information that explains why you should use nursery/potting soil for pre-bonsai. They say that the root system needed to grow a thick, strong trunk, grows more readily in that kind of soil, as opposed to grittier Bonsai soil. I will be growing out a couple of very young trees (Willow and Olive) in 3+ gallon containers and I want to make sure I do everything I can to help the trunks for strong and healthy. What do you guys think about this soil info?

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
There are a lot of opinions on soil. I don't see much stock in that view as tons of members here have had great results with bonsai soil. Wade through some of the other threads and you will see a lot of great info and pictures.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Mix it up

I have used a mixture of organic potting soil and Turface. The ratio was about 70 organic and 30 Turface. It seemed to hold moisture well yet drained very well. Roots and above ground growth was good. My experience with potting soil was that it was muddy. Getting at the roots after a couple years growth was difficult. No formal experiment but the trees in mixture grew better than the ones in potting soil. Just something I did....materials were readily available....it worked for my climate.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I've been growing out junipers in 100% soil conditioner for several years now with good success. The soil conditioner is coarser then potting soil which may or may not be significant...I've never used commercial potting soil for bonsai.

Top Bottom