Nursery San Jose

BONSAI GARAGE

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
TheSteve, Nice call. I had some time to unwire the bad branch and found exactly what you said. The branch was tweaked just a little too much and was cracked. Good thing was I had another branch that could be used to replace the apex. Good as new again.

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That's why it wise to leave a few insurance branches until the tree is "done." Never know what may happen along the way.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
TheSteve, Nice call. I had some time to unwire the bad branch and found exactly what you said. The branch was tweaked just a little too much and was cracked. Good thing was I had another branch that could be used to replace the apex. Good as new again.

This is an annoying thing about some Junipers, Procumbens and San Jose in particular. Though they seem very flexible as though you could tie them in a bow, they are in fact easily broken; especially at the joints. They break in such a way that you will not notice till several months latter. Shimpaku on the other hand seems very stiff and hard to bend at times. You will swear it is going to snap at any moment but will tolerate ten times the extreme bending the afore mentiond, without breaking.

apisto

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice San Jose

here's one of mine i am currently working with

I have left in masses of redundancy with most of the lower branches able to come off by way of jinning at a later date if needed

Comparing it to my other Junipers Rigida and common type this thing throws off about 10 times more growth than the others put together so pad formation should hopefully be fast :)

Attachments

• DSCF2656.JPG
    DSCF2656.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 116
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's hard sometimes to overcome the tendency we have had as beginners to clean up everything sprouting from the base, I have done this many times, which leads to too leggy a tree. This one had nice growth where I wanted it so had no trouble cutting it back very hard. I'll update this spring. I have reduced it to one branch and will style it that way.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Apisto,
I like your tree and what you are doing with it. Let the sun get to it, feed it heavily, and when it is sending out long new runners, cut it back. You will tighten the foliage up considerably.

apisto

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Still working on it :)

though it was torn off its perch the other night as we are having a run of high winds and rain :eek:

broke one of its branches so its held together ti wire and cut paste, time will tell and fingers crossed

Redwing

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Chris,

Where'd the pictures of the original tree go? Rather hard for us latecomers to appreciate the thread without it....

-rw

Top Bottom