Nursery Stock Coastal Redwood Help!

dddsss

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi everyone!

New member here, new to bonsai as well! Was at my local nursery recently and saw 7 ft tall sequoia sempervirens and had to get one! I proceeded to trunk chop and seal with cut paste, and clean up any unwanted/ugly branches. Once I got enough of the foliage out of the way I noticed that there was a lot of dead roots circling the top of what I assume was once soil. Any advice on whether or not I should repot now, add soil, leave it alone till spring, remove dead roots, would be appreciated! The tree looks healthy with lots of new growth/buds despite how the roots look. Trunk chop occurred less than 24 hours ago. Attached are photos of the tree when I got it, after I chopped it, and the roots

Thanks everyone!
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg

dddsss

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would repot in early spring. It looks very healthy and should get through winter just fine. It's only a couple of months of "winter" in Orange County anyway.....
Thanks! Agreed with the "winter" 😁 when it does come time to repot, how much of the roots would be safe to remove from it would you suggest?

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks! Agreed with the "winter" 😁 when it does come time to repot, how much of the roots would be safe to remove from it would you suggest?

If the nursery can is full of roots I'd start by sawing the bottom half off and see where you are at that point

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’d suggest a slightly different approach for the first repotting from the nursery can. Certainly, the bottom matted portion of the roots will be removed. But rather than just taking half the rootball away to start, I would start at the top and remove circling roots until reach the best portion of the flared base and division of roots to form nebari. Then you can judge how much to take off the bottom. In my experience, vigorous growing trees can be root pruned fairly hard. Although, I’ve stopped short of completely bare rooting mine.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Any advice on whether or not I should repot now, add soil, leave it alone till spring, remove dead roots, would be appreciated! The tree looks healthy with lots of new growth/buds despite how the roots look. Trunk chop occurred less than 24 hours ago.
I’ll second there early Spring repot suggestion. For me in Coastal SoCal (North of you) that has been Feb. and March. Usually trying to time it as buds are setting and before they push, but I’ve probably done it after a push also. If you just chopped it, I’d suggest wiring it also. You could also some pruning if you are cutting back to a branch or healthy bud.

My understanding from Mirai advice is cutting dark green shoots to get backbudding is usually done as the buds are just starting to set, so you get additional buds to form at the cut site. Otherwise they are notorious for giving up growth on an unbranched segment and pushing from further back. This usually isn’t too big of a problem with these fast growers because then you just grow that segment out with pinching to get the desired ramification.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
On styling, think about the form of the final image. Single apex, multiple apex, pointy top, more rounded. All have different insinuations of age and environment. Also think about the perspective of the viewer. We rarely are able to see the whole tree and are obviously usually looking up into the canopy. But a tight silhouette as viewed from afar (like right images) could also be impactful. I’m constantly trying to tighten the silhouette on mine, wishing I would have started the branching and ramification closer to the trunk.
5669A016-6961-4F9E-AE62-C739833C8F26.jpeg

Reaction score
On styling, think about the form of the final image. Single apex, multiple apex, pointy top, more rounded. All have different insinuations of age and environment. Also think about the perspective of the viewer. We rarely are able to see the whole tree and are obviously usually looking up into the canopy. But a tight silhouette as viewed from afar (like right images) could also be impactful. I’m constantly trying to tighten the silhouette on mine, wishing I would have started the branching and ramification closer to the trunk.
View attachment 410975
That map is incredibly depressing.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That map is incredibly depressing.

If that map is depressing....you must live in Florida!

@dddsss that's a ballsy beginning, I'd like to know how you got from no bonsai, to chopping something like this!

I would ponder it all winter and come up with what may really be the best "new leader" (hate that term), the best next segment of taper, which may be from further down.

Keep the rest above it for health in the mean time, just don't let it shade out your keeper growth below.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Getting ads for SSD cards now lol!

Thanks!

Foogle Algorithms.

Sorce

dddsss

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 410975
Thanks for all the info! I think I'll start with combing/removing all those nasty looking dead roots on the top and work my way down and yes, have decided to patiently wait until early spring to repot.
As for styling, I'm still deciding between stripping the top 2ish inches and creating a jin, or hopefully something like you suggested and having a small canopy with tight foliage.

dddsss

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If that map is depressing....you must live in Florida!

@dddsss that's a ballsy beginning, I'd like to know how you got from no bonsai, to chopping something like this!

I would ponder it all winter and come up with what may really be the best "new leader" (hate that term), the best next segment of taper, which may be from further down.

Keep the rest above it for health in the mean time, just don't let it shade out your keeper growth below.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce
Haha! I guess it is?

I honestly don't know how to answer this one. I am new to bonsai, but not new to horticulture. I love trees, especially redwoods and maples, but I don't have the room for them.
Hence, my new affinity for bonsai! I also picked up 3, 5 gallon JM's that I am planning on trunk chopping early spring!

dddsss

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
E9D528C4-9C1A-4082-9051-643F72B85A5E.jpeg
Here’s an update of the tree, terrible photo but it’s in a training pot, in bonsai soil(akadama, kiryuzuna, pine bark, and scoria) it’s been shooting out new buds like crazy. Topped with a little sphagnum and fertilized 1.5 months after repotting with biogold and watering with worm casting tea ph balanced to 6-6.5

Top Bottom